• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP/PYRO RS question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, you and I have had this discussion before but I have no problem understanding how difficult BP is to buy. Yes, I did finally order 25 pounds form Track and it did seem like a lot of powder at the time. It hasn’t turned out that way cause I have been shooting the day lights out of it. It was a considerable expense, for me at least, over $360 dollars, at one time. No gun shop, not Bass Pro, not Cabelas or any other shop, within 50 ”“75 miles of me sells it. That’s all the further I’ve checked. The one gun club that is a reasonable distance requires annual dues and range fees which would make the BP more expensive and I don’t even know if they would order it for me. I am not saying it is impossible to get but it is certainly difficult to get.

Again. I don't remember which one, but either Powder, Inc. or Graf & Sons will sell you BP in orders as small as 4 or 5 lbs. at a discount, shipped to your door. I don't understand the difficulty for you, or anyone else.

You won't know anything about the club until you contact them and ASK! Why is that so difficult to do? You have no trouble coming on an international forum to ask your questions, NO????

I am trying to figure out what your problem is, as nothing you seem to claim makes much sense. There are Lots of shooters, and hunters in Washington. I see three Charter Clubs listed for Washington in the Jan. 2010 issue of Muzzle Blasts. I see two field representatives for the NMLRA in Washington in the February 2010 issue of Muzzle Blasts, both of whom could easily put you in contact with other muzzle loading shooters, and help you solve your BP source problems. There are other field representatives listed for Oregon, and Idaho, your bordering states. All can help you find other shooters, and clubs that are friendly to BP shooters.

That is why I constantly ask what you are talking about. :hmm: Do you just want to make getting BP Difficult??? Or are you just pushing the use of Substitutes, because you use them in some of your guns??? :idunno: :youcrazy: :thumbsup:

Or are you simply the LONE WOLF shooter, who worries about helicopters overhead, and shoots only at a private range at an undisclosed location, so that no one even knows( or cares) that you shoot guns

Paul: That's a bit over the top. It kind of ignores the possiblity that someone is not in a position to join a club or in a position to share expenses with another.
Unnecessarily sarcastic.
Pete

I guess you and I are just not going to understand each other on this subject. Everybody has his or her own finical situation to contend with. What seems like not much expense to you may be entirely different to others, or me. And once again as I have stated in several posts, BP is more difficult to get than subs but it isn’t impossible to get. I did talk to the club and it does require annual dues and range fees. That makes BP, if they would even order it, more expensive not less. And again I don’t see where you get the idea I am pushing subs, I am not. Now if you order it on line you have the HAZMAT fee to pay whether you get one pound or 25. Plus you have to have an adult home when FedEx delivers it to sign for it. Maybe causing me to miss work, or other, at least an inconvenience.

Pete: How can anyone afford to shoot, much less buy the expensive substitute powders and caps for the gun he has, if he can't afford to share the cost of getting to and from a range????

I don't buy it. I have several people in my club who are on disability income, and could not continue to shoot anything if were not for the help of other members who transport them to and from the club range- more than 60 miles from our homes. Paying for half( or a third,etc., if more than 2 people ride together) of the gas is appreciated, but I don't usually charge anyone, figuring that I was going to consume the gas making the trip myself, one way or another. If its a really long trip, say, to Friendship, Indiana, then I let my riders pay for dinner or something to thank me for doing the driving.

Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

Now, to eBiggs, who lives in Kansas, not Washington. I looked up where Spring Hill is in Kansas, and you are just South of Kansas City, Kansas, and very close to the Missouri State Line. I found 3 charter clubs in Kansas, with two near you. The closest appears to be NW of you at Oskaloosa, Kansas- the First Sata Fe Trails Plainsmen. Copntact Rhonda Tomlinson at 9130664-7459.

Then, I checked Missouri, and found an even closer club at Archie, Missouri. The Strother Freetrappers. Contact Les Whiteside, 506 W. Ash, Archie. MO. 64725.

If you make friends with Missouri shooters, and they decide to send a member up to Mexico, MO. to Graf &Sons, to buy a couple of cases of powder for club members, you can even avoid the Haz Mat fee, since that applies to shipments across state lines, and not on-sight purchases. Since you can buy up to 2 full cases of powder in a single purchase, the Haz mat fee is divided 50 times, and reduces the added expense to near nothing. That can reduce the cost to you of a single pound of powder down to $15.00 or less. You are spending that much on the substitute powders!( unless you find a " close-out sale.")

If you don't have an adult at home at your house, ask a neighbor who IS home to accept the shipment, for you, and sign the receipt for UPS. The company that ships the powder, and the Fed. government does NOT care who signs for the shipment. The signature simply provides a Proof of Delivery, and that is all.Its NOT a Federal Regulation requirement. Its only a company rule designed to protect UPS from claims that something was NOT delivered.

My UPS driver goes to my next door neighbors for a signature, when I am away, but leaves the package at my door. When I had my office down town, my driver would drop packages off at my office, where my secretary, or another lawyer in the firm could sign for it.

I am not interested in your particular financial circumstances, Mr. Biggs. I am interested in assuring members, and non-member readers of this forum that obtaining Black Powder is NOT that difficult- altho its no longer readily available at most local sporting goods stores. Getting the powder at the cheapest price does require some sharing of resources with other shooters, but EVERYONE involved benefits from the same lower prices for the effort. People who don't belong to the NMLRA are shorting themselves of a source of invaluable information about MLers. People who don't find local ranges, and clubs that welcome Mlers are shorting themselves of shooting opportunities, and the chance to make new friends.

A man's wealth is measured not by the money in his bank account, but by the number of friends he has. To have a friend, be a friend.

If the nearest club range to you involves modern guns, take your MLers there and shoot them. There are plenty of shooters who don't shoot MLers simply because they don't know what you already know about Mlers, and have never had the opportunity to learn how to load them, and to shoot them. Give that opportunity and help to these shooters and you will have plenty of friends. :thumbsup:

personally i think some just need to stuff a sock in it and shoot whatever kind of powder you want to shoot. Your muzzleloader, Your money, Your choice. :thumbsup:

Possibly we can put our disagreement to rest if I change the word “difficult” to inconvenient? And, Paul, for the ”˜manyth’ time, I don’t promote subs. I am not sure where you are picking that up. The only time I ever even used them was for the testing I did and the results I posted on the forum.

BTW, if not presumptuous on my part. Are you an attorney by trade?

Hi Paul. Sorry it took so long to respond. For me, the local store run by a now retired idiot forgot to renew the store's FFL license! They finally got one after years of not having one. They don't stock black powder because they claim it's too expensive with the insurance. Therefore no black powder. That leaves me with another store some miles away which I visit whenever I can. They still have black powder. Because they only order small quantities at at time it gets gobbled up now that the demand has gotten bigger. I recall they told me why they only order small quantities. I just cant recall what it was. Made perfectly good sense and I'm sorry for not remembering what it was.

Economics as it's been has required me to look for deals. Wally World usually sells Pyrodex RS cheap right after the ML season ends. I mean $7.00 a container a couple of years ago. I bought a bunch at that time.

I would rather have black but if I can get a 2 to 1 ratio of Pyrodex to black I'll to go with Pyrodex. I like black but I'm willing to settle for the additional cleaning to save some funds. Did I mention I'm frugal?

It's taken me a little bit more range time but I can get my guns to shoot Pyrodex RS if I do my part in testing loads. :v

Kentuckywindage said:
personally i think some just need to stuff a sock in it and shoot whatever kind of powder you want to shoot. Your muzzleloader, Your money, Your choice. :thumbsup:

I'll DITTO you on this one! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just came from the local reloader supply shop and their Pyro was going for 29.95 per container. I still can get BP for $12.50/lb if I order 25# which includes hazmat and shipping.

25#@ $12.50/lb. BP (KIK from Powder, Inc) = $312.50.

25 containers Pyro@ $29.95 = $718.75 + Tennessee sales tax = $785.75. Most people purchase from the store one container at a time.

Back