• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Uberti Walker, Pietta 44 brass frame 51 Colt, and Pietta NMA 58 Remington 44cal. I like all three. I am going to buy a conversion cylinder for my Walker that way i can shoot BP and 45 Colt cartridges BP and cowboy loads from the same gun. If i modify the gun myself i will have about 550.00 in it.

Midway is a good place to buy cap and ball revolvers if you are a Midway customer and are on their e-mail list they will offer discounts on your birthday, holidays or you can just check their website they have overstock discounts all the time. I bought my Walker from them last month with my Labor Day discount it was 300.00 and change. Their service is good and they ship fast.

Mike

Zonie,

I was too tired yesterday to remember that the Buffalo was the one with the adjustable sights, and it's made by Pietta :redface: . It was a gift from my Wife this last Christmas. Stainless too! What a Gal!! The '58 with 8" tube has the groove, just like you said. Didn't mean to imply that they're all available with the adjustable sights (Uberti), but me thinks that Pietta may make one?

After the rather flimsy little rear sight fell out of the gun several months back, I put it back in and eye-balled the center and tightened it down. Now I just take a sighter, then adjust from there, taking into account such things as wind, climate, and how much coffee I had before I started :haha: .

Dave

I wasn't trying to pick on you, and as far as I know, Uberti may have made 1858's with adjustable sights some time in the past.
I just didn't want someone to read that the Uberti revolver had adjustable sights and then order one without reading all about what they were going to get, and then end up with something that they didn't want. :thumbsup:

Zonie,

Didn't feel picked-on. I just wanted to admit my mistake, and let the newbie know that some adjustable sights on BP revolvers "ain't what they're cracked-up to be". When you're down on all fours digging through grass & dirt looking for a tiny little blade while wearing tri-focals, it can be exasperating :shocked2: :haha: .

Have a great weekend!

Dave

Something to consider if you buy a .36 cal BP revolver and a conversion cylinder. Many .36s, maybe all, are actually .375 in diameter. Conversions tend to be for bullets of .357-.358. It takes a bit of experimentation to find a bullet that will be consistently accurate.
Pete

Thanks for all the help and info guys.

Now to do a little shopping.

Thanks again, ill let ya know what I get, when I get it.

barebackjack said:

We already know your getting a Walker, just post some pics when you get it! :haha:

Plink said:
Having never had good luck with Piettas, I'd suggest looking at Uberti to see if they make what you like. I keep hearing that Pietta has gotten a lot better recently, so the quality might be about the same. The Ubertis are a few dollars higher, but probably worth the difference.

From what I'm seeing on the SASS Wire Uberti's quality has gone down in the last few years while Pietta's has gone up. Most of the CAS shooters that use c&b are using Pietta's and those guys do a lot of shooting. I've got two and they're top notch. :thumbsup:

:hmm: The Pietta LeMat is an enigmatic gun---I would like to own one---but the general workmanship & quality of parts and assembly of Pietta warns me off. I hope yours functions well and you enjoy. I just cannot see risking the money based upon my read on Pietta. I wish that Uberti would make one, but they have said that it's too risky a market for the LeMat. :thumbsup:

I own two Piettas and one Uberti my Uberti is no better than my Piettas in fact they finished a little nicer. I would not hesitate to buy another Pietta.

Mike

Rikeman said:
barebackjack said:

We already know your getting a Walker, just post some pics when you get it! :haha:

Heres a question on the walker. How does the loading lever stay in place with no "clip" or retaining feature on the end like other models?

How does the loading lever stay in place with no "clip" or retaining feature on the end like other models?
-------
It usually doesn't.

There is a spring that hangs down under the barrel and slips into a slot in the loading lever. This is located about 1/2 inch forward of the vertical area of the frame.

Most modern folks have found that they need to use a small file to sharpen the little protrusion that engages the loading lever on their reproduction Walkers to keep the loading lever from falling during recoil.

This feature is historically correct and it was one of the first big objections to the gun by the soldiers who used it. After all, they were in a life/death situation and that dam lever dropping down would lock up the cylinder.

This explains why the First Model Dragoon which replaced the Walker had a locking feature that engaged a under lug at the front of the barrel.

This lock was a vertical affair that was a bit hard to unlock on some guns but it did keep the loading lever in place.

The 1851 Navy revolver was fitted with a horizontal locking feature that was easy to use and this design was retained on all of the opentop Colts until the end of the Percussion era.

When a company orders revolvers from a maker, it specifies the level of fit and finish it wants depending on the price it plans on asking. A Uberti from Navy Arms may not have the same level of quality that the same model from Taylor's or Cimarron has. And their prices will reflect this. It's been this way almost from the beginning of the repro era.

Russ T Frizzen said:
When a company orders revolvers from a maker, it specifies the level of fit and finish it wants depending on the price it plans on asking. A Uberti from Navy Arms may not have the same level of quality that the same model from Taylor's or Cimarron has. And their prices will reflect this. It's been this way almost from the beginning of the repro era.
From personal experiences I agree with Russ T Frizzen. Have had Cabela's Uberti's that were not as nicely fitted/finished as Uberti's from Cimarron.

Nothing wrong with that, more choices for us.

barebackjack said:
Rikeman said:
barebackjack said:

Heres a question on the walker. How does the loading lever stay in place with no "clip" or retaining feature on the end like other models?

As Zonie said, it is a normal part of function for it to fall under heavy loads. On mine, nothing under 55 grains causes it to fall. But also as he has said, it can be totally corrected by filing off only a small ammount from the retainer spring. Very easy and quick fix. It really is no reason to stay away from the walker as it is so easy to correct.

Just a minor inconvenience when you consider all the fun of shooting a Walker -- lots of noise and smoke :grin:

Zonie said:
Most modern folks have found that they need to use a small file to sharpen the little protrusion that engages the loading lever on their reproduction Walkers to keep the loading lever from falling during recoil.

I use a 'historically-accurate' elastic band on mine.

Nobody over here gets offended, especially since mine is probably the only walker of any kind they have ever seen in their lives.

tac

About 10 years ago I purchased 3 pietta revolvers from Cabelas. The all needed work in order to function properly. When I moved I sold them. In the last couple years I bought 4 piettas from Cabelas (got back into BP). What a difference. They all looked great and functioned perfectly. I agree with the statements of others that the quality of piettas has gone up.

Pasquenel said:
:hmm: The Pietta LeMat is an enigmatic gun---I would like to own one---but the general workmanship & quality of parts and assembly of Pietta warns me off. I hope yours functions well and you enjoy. I just cannot see risking the money based upon my read on Pietta. I wish that Uberti would make one, but they have said that it's too risky a market for the LeMat. :thumbsup:

I had those same feelings about spending $750 on a Pietta. After reading many on-line comments and talking to two guys that own one I pulled the trigger on one this weekend. I'll report back on what I get.

Back