• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP shotgun??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have been reading your posts for some time and it appears that many of you are quite knowledgable about BP shotgunning. I would like to get your advise on this issue.

I shoot a TC 54 cal renegade rifle but have become very interested in shooting a turkey with a BP shotgun. I am only interested in turkey hunting a couple weeks a year and probably wouldn't use it for anything else. I called Green Mountain and was told they only had 62cal smoothbore that could be used for a drop-in barrel. I think I have read that some of you( roundball) use this yourself. Buying a barrel instead of a complete firearm seems the most pratical for what I want.

Would you recommend this setup and if so where can I get information on how to properly load it?
I have never shot a BP shotgun but have been using my 54 for 35 years. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration, Mike

I think GM's .62cal smoothbore barrels are excellent...I use their drop-in barrels in my TC Hawkens...would be the same barrel for your Renegade. The good news is once you get it you'll realize lots of things you can use it for in addition to turkey hunting...all small game, PRBs for deer, clay targets, crows...basically most anything you want to hunt.

I followed this individual's advice for my turkey load and found it to be excellent.
http://members.aye.net/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments and also the e-mails I received. I printed out the suggested sites and will go back through previous threads for additional info. Looks like I'll be calling GM tomorrow.
Sure makes life easier when there are experienced people to turn to.

If you get that .62 barrel, get yourself a 5/8" punch cutter too. It'll save you a ton of $ for shot cards. Just punch your own out of cereal boxes etc. :thumbsup:

Check out the member resources area, Links, Charts, etc., there is a chart for powder measure shot charges.
Or you can buy a shot charger...

Many ways to carry shot. A bag, horn, shot snake...

Yep. And empty cereal boxes are free. :grin:
My wife and kid eat the stuff like crazy so I always have a good supply.

Besides, I save the money for shipping, I don't have to wait for the mail to go shootin', it's a productive use of free time, I get the satisfaction of doing-it-myself, and I'm recycling and savin' trees so I get to feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :haha:

Anyway, I work flat rate. I hafta be there, but I don't get paid unless I'm actually working. So I punch mine out at work when it's slow and I ain't got any work to do. $8 worth of shot cards an hour is better than nothin' an hour... :thumbsup:

??? how many do you need an how much did the punch cost. Whan I priced them seems like I could buy a life time of cards for a lot less than the cost of the punch.
:wink: Rocky

Well, that's a little different story than saying "It'll save you a ton of $ for shot cards"
:grin:

Well I went and did it. The barrel is in the mail. Talked to the folks at October Country and they will get me fixed up with what I need the first go-around until I get savvy. Headed over there this morning.

Cost cutting advise is always appreciated, thanks.

$100 for a complete barrel seems real reasonable but I suspect its kinda like longbows; can't have just one. They are just suckering me in.

Thanks again for the help, probably wouldn't have tried this on my own. This old dog is going to learn a new trick. :hatsoff:

I use about 6 cards per shot. And I bought a whole set or punches on sale at Harbor Freight for not much more than a bag of cards. :thumbsup:

I had a 68 smooth barrel for my T/C Hawkin. I didnt like the weight, Poor balance or the set trigger for shotgunning. But that's just me.
Cap

I bet someone could make a good living converting old (ruined) T/C barrels to smoothbores. I'd love to have my .54 Renegade barrel bored to .62 and the front 1/2 of the barrel turned round with a wedding band transition. A Trade Gun brass turtle front sight would be nice too.

Back