• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP solvent and cleaning patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weavedreamer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just inquiring to hear opinions on homemade solvents and what works best for cleaning patches? Just recently learned that some people wash and reuse cleaning patches, growing up we always would just dispose of ours.

I use old tee shirts. Get a rotary fabric cutter and a piece of plexiglass to cut on and you can have a hundred or more patches cut to size in a very short time. Dawn soap, water, and a dash of ballistol is my cleaning agent. The cutter also works great for cutting your loading patches to size.

I use cotton baby blanket flannel bought at Walmart. Very cheap. I cut into about 2" squares. I use them for swabbing between shots dampened (not soaked) with spit. For cleaning just water with dishwater soap, usually Dawn. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back