• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP substitute in a machlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himem777

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Im having a tough time finding real Black powder where I live. I was wondering if I could BP substitute in the gun if I have real stuff in the pan? :idunno:

Substitute powder ignites at a higher temp. that real black. I am not saying that it won't work, but my experance with it in flintlocks is many hang fires and mis fires. Real BP will more reliable. On the the other hand you will never know unless you give it a try.
Good Luck

You can put a small amount of b/p in first then load the b/p substitute
However it's not recommend. I would look on-line for some. Graff and son's comes to mind

Thanks for the reply. OK I Guess im stuck for local. Another thought, I wonder if adding sulfur to a sub will lower its ignition temp? I know that BP with greater sulfur content, have lower ignition temps. Has anyone tried this?

you could try ordering BP online.Powder inc is a good company i have ordered from them since i have the same problem as you.i got 5 lbs for around 120$ i know its more expensive but it saved me a two hour trip and an appointment to get the stuff.As for adding sulfur the substitutes are chemically different i would research that more before you try.Could make things worse.

Match: That's an interesting question. If someone could measure the temperature of well-made hemp slow match at the tip, I'll bet they would find it is plenty hot enough to ignite Pyrodex or Triple 7.

Good point. I know the match that I have made barely lights the real powder I have now, witch is 2f ground down by hand (in very small amounts). I bought some Pyrodex 3f-p for cap and ball pistols to experiment with. I will post my findings.

Latest posts

Back