• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brace o'rabbit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bunny hunting was my favorite past time in my mid twenties.

I wish we had them around here but there are not any in these parts.

Nice looking rabbits. How do you serve them?
I like them brined in salty herb water for a day then roasted on a rotisserie. Add some season salt and pepper as it roasts....yummy deluxe.
Best rabbits are the early summer ones. Their diet has been all fresh greens for about a month, they have fattened up a bit from the long harsh winter. Good eats.

You kill more rabbits in two weeks than I see all year. :thumbsup:

The hawks, eagles, owls, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, skunks, coons and snakes get most of our rabbits.

52 yard neck shot on a bunny with a smoothbore. :nono: don't you know that that thing ain't accurate? Why a musket could only be relied on to hit a man at 50 or 75 yards because they relied on the density of fire. We have all read THAT You better put that rabbit back the internet says you can't have hit it :wink:

Nice shooting Brit :hatsoff:

I like dicing the meat and frying with some chopped bacon. Pepper and peppers.
Yummy deluxe :thumbsup:

Thanks all but the credit goes to nature and the grand laws that make this earth perfect.

B.

Britsmoothy said:
I like dicing the meat and frying with some chopped bacon. Pepper and peppers.
Yummy deluxe :thumbsup:

Thanks all but the credit goes to nature and the grand laws that make this earth perfect.

B.
I liked mine stewed with vegetable's not forgetting a pie crust with a hump in the middle.
Feltwad

so what is up with your hunting mutt?
Is the pooch helpful or just there for the free rabbit offal?

I had a dog I took on hunts for rabbit all those years ago, but he wasn't much help. He was just there to get free food. At least he knew to stay quite.
One day he brought me a rabbit he caught and patiently waited for me to skin and gut the thing.
Life got complicated and I had to give him to a friend.

Jess sometimes will work for me by bolting rabbit and although does not retrieve helps me find lost critters. She pins stuff down too and goes nuts for squirrel.
Sometimes she has to be tied to me when stalking.

B :thumbsup:

Nicely done Brits! Jess doesn't seem to be too interested in the bunny. I grew up hunting bunnys and my Mom usually floured and fried them, like chicken, then made gravy from the drippings. Dad liked to hunt them with Beagles........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job the compadre! Looks like it's hasseppfeffer soon! :wink:
Glad to see you got a new hunting buddy. Looks like Jess is a keeper. I know Tia got too old to go with you but is she still around?

I'm sorry...don't recall hearing that. Too bad to...know how much I miss my little gopher digger!

We lost our Rat Terrier Lilly this May.
We had no idea she was so sick. She was acting ill so we took her in to the vet. She didn't make it through the night. Congestive Heart failure and advanced pneumonia. She never gave us a clue she wasn't doing well. She was playing a few hours before she was taken in to see the vet.
But she made it 12 years when her puppy vet said she wouldn't make it to 10. Poor thing was so sick as a puppy the vet said it wouldn't be wrong to consider euthanizing her. Well we fought for her and it was touch and go. Once she pulled through the vet said she would have a rough life and die early. Guess no one told Lilly she was supposed to be an invalid dog. She never was as sickly as the vet feared, but she did die a few years early.

Back