• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere I have photos of a late 17th century German rifle with a real BRASS (real yellow, not "bronze") barrel (also lockplate and all hardware). Has several "V" shaped grooves.

I think there are only TWO known American long guns with brass barrels (of which I am aware...I ain't aware of all that much!). One is the famous "brass barreled rifle" and another is rather later and is pictured on p. 162 of "The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle" by Kauffman.

I think I've seen the same thing somewhere too...

::

I started looking through my books and found a musket with a copper barrel, and two pistols and a fowler with solid SILVER barrels but not the "real" brass barrelled one yet

I think it must have beeen the one in "The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle" by Kauffman (but I don't own that one, its in the state library)

I think I mentioned this on the cannon page, but I may have discussed it in another forum (old age). I saw a cannon in a museum in Europe that looked like someone took a 2-1/2" thin-wall copper pipe and wrapped it in wet leather and burlap. Don't know how many times it was fired but it had not exploded.

About 25 years ago a fellow I worked with asked me if I would clean up an antique muzzleloader for him and replace a missing hammer.I took it home,ordered a hammer from Dixie,and cleaned it up without altering the patina.It was a Potsdam sappers (I think) musket with a .72 bronze barrel, Civil war contract.The bore was very pitted and green.I cleaned the bore up,fitted the hammer,and took it out and fired it!He'd a kicked my butt if it had blown up(he didn't know at that time what a loose cannon I was).I loaded it with 70 grains Ffg and a patched ,69 ball.Hit a 5 gallon bucket at 50 yards every time.So I called him to meet me at the range.He showed up wondering why.I said "here,you shoot it".He sez,"you're nuts!". So I fired it.His jaw dropped so far that his false teeth about fell out! But he fired the next shot,and then he just GRINNED! He thanked me but said it's going to hang on the wall from now on.

there was probably a layer of steel wire wrapped between the copper and the leather casing. they were lightweight, but expensive to make and wore out quickly if mishandled.

Gee now I feel silly... The only pieces I have seen with Brass barrels are flint lock smooth bores and blunderbusts... Does anyone have a few pics for us... Thanks Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

Here's a fantasy piece I made a few years ago. 48" brass .54 cal barrel by Getz. Brass lock plate too. I never fired this gun, so I can't tell you the particulars about it.
perry2.jpg
[/img]
perry7.jpg
[/img]
perry6.jpg
[/img]
perry11.jpg
[/img]
perry9.jpg
[/img]

Here's a fantasy piece I made a few years ago. 48" brass .54 cal barrel by Getz. Brass lock plate too. I never fired this gun, so I can't tell you the particulars about it.
perry2.jpg
[/img]
perry7.jpg
[/img]
perry6.jpg
[/img]
perry11.jpg
[/img]
perry9.jpg
[/img]
I've don a blunderbuss in brass too some time ago

Looks like a double post! :curse: Gonna need a Moderator to come to the rescue on this one, too late for me to delet it.....

Mike
WOW, WOW twice a double take for sure. Now that is one purdy piece of hardware. What kind of loads could or can it take? Less than a steel barrel? WOW again... Thank you so much for posting that one. Once again you and this forum as educated the old Dawg... As I said before You are an ARTIST!
Best regards Loyalist Dawg :thumbsup: :applause: :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back