• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brass ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim foley

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My new ramrod from log cabin was sticking out of the mailbox when i got home yesterday.The first thing i noticed was how it was packaged they just folded over a strip of cardboard and taped it up.It is bent slightly.Should i send it back or just keep it like i say its not bad but u can tell when u look down it or roll it on a flat surface.

Boy, that would burn me.
Can you carefully get it straight again?
I'd at least call and if it won't straighten, demand a refund.

It could have been packaged a lot better than it was. I have never ordered from them before and prob wont again.

It's all about packaging.
Anyone in business who has to ship stuff should know how to package against damage.
I ship and receive delicate scientific instruments on a regular basis, modern mechanical sorting and handling equipment can destroy a tank if it ain't packed right!

JMinnerath said:
Boy, that would burn me.
Can you carefully get it straight again?
I'd at least call and if it won't straighten, demand a refund.
X2..there's no need of that kind of carelessness on their part....they should know better.No different than ordering a new flyrod that arrives in splinters imho.

I get the impression it is barely bent. :confused:

Does not seem like a big problem and may help retain it in the thimbles. I use a brass rod on my TC and need to use a piece of leather through a thimble to keep it in place. Maybe I'll just give it a little bend? :)

Mine is solid brass. Yours may be the hollow type, which I am tempted to build as a replacement, but OTOH, the heavy rod makes the rifle hang kinda nice.

If it's only bent slightly and still fits into your gun and isn't too hard to remove then there's no problem. I have brass rods in all of my guns, some solid and some hollow. Like the hollow ones on my hunting guns. October Country knows how to pack them so they won't be bent.
Deadeye

I'd be pretty upset if I got a package like that.

I'm into fly fishing and buying and selling vintage bamboo fly rods. Proper packaging is the only way to survive UPS or the PO.

marmotslayer said:
I get the impression it is barely bent. :confused:

Does not seem like a big problem and may help retain it in the thimbles. I use a brass rod on my TC and need to use a piece of leather through a thimble to keep it in place. Maybe I'll just give it a little bend? :)

Mine is solid brass. Yours may be the hollow type, which I am tempted to build as a replacement, but OTOH, the heavy rod makes the rifle hang kinda nice.

Bent is bent.
If I ordered a new rod and wanted it bent, I'd rather do it myself.

It is just a slight bend and i know anything can happen during shipping but when u fold a single layer of carboard around something like that ur giving it very little chance of not getting damaged.It is the solid ramrod and if i have to pay to return it then i will prob just keep it.Anyway i will let yall know what log cabin says about it.

Just got off the phone with log cabin they were very nice and apologized for it being bent.She told me they would ship me another one right away and to just keep the bent one.So just bad packaging but very good customer service and thats rare these days.

Wow, now that's a great follow-up, Thank you.
I know the Log Cabin changed hands just a few years back due too retirement.
It's always good to hear a shop maintains it's integrity. :thumbsup:

Now that's great service. I'm curious about the new packaging. I'm sure it won't come packaged to same way.

Somebody in shipping probably got their butt chewed.
Things like that cost a company bucks and small ones can't handle it.

Wooden ramrods are usually bent. Especially ramrods which are made correctly and follow the line of the grain.

The only truly straight ramrods I've seen were machined from a blank and they usually have a lot of grain runout.

Grain runout is where the grain of the wood breaks out of the side of the ramrod and it is a very dangerous condition as the ramrod will usually break along the grain leaving a sharp pointed stick that can easily penetrate completely thru a persons hand. It is shown in this drawing:
ramrodgrain1.jpg

Unless the ramrod is radically bent (which can be straightened with heat and some counterbending) it should fit thru the thimbles and the bends will actually help to keep it in place without springs or other do-dads.

Necchi & Coydog,
I'm not certain that you got it right. Dan and Rick are still hard at running the Log Cabin Shop. I'm not surprised at the result of calling them on the bent rod, they are good people.
Mark :thumbsup:

I would advise them to tape a 1x2 to the rod for shipping I always attatch 1x6 or 1x8 boards to any guns I ship both ways, you could probably run over one and not damage the gun the shipping is a bit more but on a 1000-1200 gun it is cheap insurance.

Back