• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass Ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have thought about getting a brass ramrod for my traditions kentucky because anymore I get worried about breaking the ramrod while hunting which would end my fun for the day. Then I think that it would be close enough to historical looking brass is already on the gun so it would look fine for me. Does anyone have experiences with these and recommendations on where to get one? Thanks.

Luie,
I have a couple of brass rods that typically stay at home, they are real heavy.
Mark

99% of all under-barrel and range rods I've used since the 90's are brass, either solid brass or lighter tubular brass for rifles I still hunt with.

I get them made to custom lengths at October Country...on the tubular ones, the ends are epoxied and pinned. Plus, OC Owner 'John' adds a nice 1.5" cross-hatch pattern to the end under the muzzle for a non-slip grip.

I just remembered that the ramrod fits my gun is 9mm so I doubt I can find a brass ramrod in that size and I know 3/8 doesn't fit this gun.

I have a solid brass 28" ramrod that works with my TC .50 and .45. Even with the .45 I don't find it to be too heavy. Made it from a 5/16th solid brass rod and glued and pinned a 3/8th Trso ramrod tip (5/16th ID) to one end. Needs a piece of leather thong tied thru one of the thimbles to keep it from sliding on it's own. This might be a bit heavy in a longer barrel. :shocked2:

I watch for some tubular brass stock but have not seen any available. :confused: If some shows up I'll make a longer one for my 32" barrels.

3/8" outside x 1/8" inside brass tube works good. Easy to tap it for 8-32 and 10-32 threads for cleaning jags. Used it to make a ram rod for a 22" barrel carbine and ram rod extension for another rifle. And it makes a good range rod. Would rather use a little thinner wall tube for a longer under the barrel type ram rods.

Finding 9mm diameter rod might be tough!

I get the need for a brass range rod I bought one from cains but consider that most of the time you are hunting you use the ram rod for just that ramming a projectile down the barrel if it breaks yes you will have to get a replacement I figure leave the range rod at camp and that brings the biggest buck you ever saw. I use a wood tc rod that is pinned and don not worry. One of those tubular brass rods roundball mentioned sounds darn nice though.

You can make a sleves to fit inside the thimbles & fit these to the ram rod od

Oct. country has sizes to fit most anything. I have brass rods in all 29 of my muzzleloaders,
smaller ones solid, larger ones hollow, no problem with weight. wouldn't have any other kind.
Deadeye

Go to Ace Hardware and get brass tubular stock. They have a lot of different sizes.
You can than get ramrod ends from Track and solder them on. This works very well and is way inexpensive. Remember to use flux.

This is a 5/16" brass ramrod with 5/16" ends from Track of the Wolf.

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

You can even make this handy little T-handle and put it in your shooting bag.

IMG_3868.jpg

You could consider TOW ramin rods if you want to keep the weight down. They are straight grain and very strong. The only reason you should have a problem with one breaking is if the grain happens to feather out. You should be able to read the rod to see if it is what I call a cull. Purchase at leasst three to keep hold down on shipping. If it will not fit your thimbles, simply sand it down. I have used the same rod in my rifle for over five years and don't sweat it breaking.

I know 9mm is just slightly smaller than 3/8 in. but 3/8 will not fit in my rifle. What I was wondering is if I buy a 3/8 rod and sand it down won't it be weird with the brass ramrod threaded tip being bigger than the rest of the rod?

You can flair it out at the end and it will look just fine. IMO, a brass rod will look weird sitting in your rifle.

I have used brass rods when hunting, they put the ball down with authority but can be heavier than some care for,I prefer a more traditional approach these days. the best bet is probably to learn how to use a wood rod and not use loads that need a severe pounding to go down the bore.

People always tell me to use a TIGHT patch and ball combo then I always wonder how I'm supposed to reload that in the field. But I normally load with my wooden ramrod under my gun and it hasn't broken yet. It's tight enough that it can't be thumb started and I can't ram it down by just keeping constant pressure on the rod I kind of have to use several hard taps on the rod to make the ball go down. I'm not sure if it is good on a brass tipped wooden rod or not that is why I kind of wanted a brass rod. I figured a brass ramrod on my gun wouldn't hurt anything because my traditions kentucky isn't entirely historically correct anyway so it didn't matter.

What I was worried about with the tapered end is if it would work good and not be more susceptible to breaking.

The answer to breaking if the end is tapered is no. However, if you want to use a brass rod, that's OK too.

I remember you are using mink tallow for lube. That is a great lube for cold weather, such as when you are hunting. I use it during deer season. You shouldn't have to load fast hunting. During the summer. especially, I believe you should try using patches with wet Ballistol or water soluable oil.

Yes, a tight patch is good for accuracy. It keeps the hot gasses from escaping around the ball/patch. I personally, am not worried about speed when loading, just tight groups.

It is a matter of choice luie, one can generaly work up a very accurate load that is thumb startable and followed down with a wooded rod and short strokes, some do not care for this approach, even though it was undoubtedly the method used with the originals, do what works for you and gives you confidence, as loading/shooting a gun while lacking confidence in your method is the worst thing you can do,it is not a crime to deviate from the traditional methods from time to time,better than wounded game in any mans book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back