• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brazier/double brazier stands

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckyjed

.45, .50, .62 cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed at several rendezvous people cooking with a double brazier usually on an elevated stand/table of sorts to avoid having to get up and down if it was set on the ground. My question is there any historical reference to these stands? usually made of metal or angle iron. I have looked online but have not found any information. I have used a single brazier but have recently purchased another and have built a stand/table of sorts for them to set on and facilitate easier cooking as opposed to kneeling on the ground as much. (bad knees)
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
BZ

I have noticed that the last few rendezvous I have been to that there seems to be a little less emphasis on total period correctness unless it is obvious like sneakers instead of mocs. I did notice at a vous I went to last year that a group of men camping together were using a gas burner somewhat concealed in their cooking area, I thought it was pretty lame. I try to be as period correct as I can outside my tent or tarp.
Thanks for the information.

I have noticed at several rendezvous people cooking with a double brazier usually on an elevated stand/table of sorts to avoid having to get up and down if it was set on the ground. My question is there any historical reference to these stands?

There is the Legionary Camp Stove used by Romans, which really isn't elevated that much although is higher than a brazier, but it does demonstrate ingenuity for the use of iron. The circles were for pots, the Romans liking round bottomed pots for field use, and the grill could be adjusted or moved out of the way.

ROMAN CAMP STOVE.jpg

Round bottom pots have an advantage in such a stove in that when the stove is not quite level, you can still level the pot

Dutch Hemisphere Kettle.JPG

A brazier was for compact cooking, and the double brazier may itself actually be a sort of a reenactorism. Likely no historic reference to a double brazier the same height as a free standing Weber grill, because the idea was to travel light, so they would've been on top of a wooden table. Wood burns, so some folks opt for all iron arrangement to avoid having douse their charcoal if they want to leave camp or otherwise face the possibility of burning the brazier table down.

DOUBLE BRAZIER.jpg

LD

There is the Legionary Camp Stove used by Romans, which really isn't elevated that much although is higher than a brazier, but it does demonstrate ingenuity for the use of iron. The circles were for pots, the Romans liking round bottomed pots for field use, and the grill could be adjusted or moved out of the way.

View attachment 336232

Round bottom pots have an advantage in such a stove in that when the stove is not quite level, you can still level the pot

View attachment 336235

A brazier was for compact cooking, and the double brazier may itself actually be a sort of a reenactorism. Likely no historic reference to a double brazier the same height as a free standing Weber grill, because the idea was to travel light, so they would've been on top of a wooden table. Wood burns, so some folks opt for all iron arrangement to avoid having douse their charcoal if they want to leave camp or otherwise face the possibility of burning the brazier table down.

View attachment 336234

LD
I have often thought about building a Roman styled brazier but as you said the height is comparable to that of a single colonial styled brazier so I decided to make a 24-inch-high stand out of iron that can hold one double brazier or two singles. Thanks for the input and information.

I have noticed that the last few rendezvous I have been to that there seems to be a little less emphasis on total period correctness unless it is obvious like sneakers instead of mocs. I did notice at a vous I went to last year that a group of men camping together were using a gas burner somewhat concealed in their cooking area, I thought it was pretty lame. I try to be as period correct as I can outside my tent or tarp.
Thanks for the information.
Lots of areas do not allow open ground fires. Fires have to be in an off the ground "pit", I have two made, one out of a 20 gal barrel and a 50 gal barrel, both only 1/4 bottom portion

As French Colonial does I also place my double brazier on a table. I also have a steel bottom wood framed fire pit which is sand filled about 4 inches deep if required keeping the bottom several inches above the soil.

I put these in the same place as out fire proff tents, or most of our sleeping arrangements
We live in the here and now. Too many candle lanterns, too much cooking equipment
None of us are perfect

Lots of areas do not allow open ground fires. Fires have to be in an off the ground "pit", I have two made, one out of a 20 gal barrel and a 50 gal barrel, both only 1/4 bottom portion
A lot of events do not want you to dig out a fire pit but allow fires on top of the ground. I do not agree with a propane stove in a primitive camp. Go over to the non-primitive camping section or figure out something that's not as obvious as a propane tank and burner partially hidden in the open cooking area. At least the brazier set ups I have seen have a lot more period correctness in a LIVING HISTORY encampment, I am by no means a thread counter but try to keep the whole vibe of the period I am camping with. Even though the 1/4 bottom portion isn't period correct it can be disguised enough to pass for the event to be safe per their rules.

A lot of events do not want you to dig out a fire pit but allow fires on top of the ground. I do not agree with a propane stove in a primitive camp. Go over to the non-primitive camping section or figure out something that's not as obvious as a propane tank and burner partially hidden in the open cooking area. At least the brazier set ups I have seen have a lot more period correctness in a LIVING HISTORY encampment, I am by no means a thread counter but try to keep the whole vibe of the period I am camping with. Even though the 1/4 bottom portion isn't period correct it can be disguised enough to pass for the event to be safe per their rules.
Speaking of which, we had a drought warning a few decades back in the late 1990's, and the events all were required to have "no open flame" rules enforced, which said no open campfires with wood or charcoal or briquets. So a LOT of us got braziers back then. BUT what about the "fellowship around the campfire" which is for many a major reason to attend such an event? One group of intrepid attendees got hold of a really inexpensive gas-log fireplace insert, and buried the line from it to the propane tank, with the propane tank concealed beneath a pile of wood. Worked fine, and they even cooked over it BUT that gave the pots a really good coating of soot.

Freaked out the Park Rangers when they first saw it, but they were good lads when they found out what was actually happening. Propane was cheap back then and a refill location was a few blocks away from the event.

LD

Back