• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech plug removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm only talking about breech plugs on antique guns.....but, thanks for the info....I may need it too!!!

If you have an antique flintlock gun, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd add more exclamation points, but I have a feeling it wouldn't matter.

If you are not a genuine, accomplished flintlock gunsmith, PLEASE do not mess with (and mess up) an old gun in any way. And if you have to ask how to remove a breechplug, you definitely are not a genuine, accomplished flintlock gunsmith.

What Stophel said. Do Not Screw Around with a piece of history.

Too much has been lost because some ham handed S-- just had
to fix up this old gun

everyone has to learn somewhere, somehow.

what he does with his own guns is his business alone, and if he chooses to ignore 10-15 people all shouting DON'T in unison, that IS his choice.

I have a barrel vise with 1 1/2" pillar studs, selection of action wrenches, barrel blocks, shims, penetrating oil, teflon grease etc.etc.

never (thank goodness) HAD TO remove a traditional breech-plug of any style, and won't "just from curiousity".

I talk with guys that say it's nothing to do......but they're working their own rifles, not a customers.

Appreciate all the answers,but, I do have a question being that I'm not a genuine, experienced flintlock gunsmith.....just, exactly "how" did these said genuine smiths get their knowledge???....I assume, they asked questions just like me when they were just beginning....not trying to be smart about this....just thought this was the place to ask about such things!!!

9945 said:
Appreciate all the answers,but, I do have a question being that I'm not a genuine, experienced flintlock gunsmith.....just, exactly "how" did these said genuine smiths get their knowledge???....I assume, they asked questions just like me when they were just beginning....not trying to be smart about this....just thought this was the place to ask about such things!!!
Not only did they ask questions but someone showed them how to remove the plug and when to remove (or not remove) the plug. Asking the question only starts you down the road but gives you ZERO practical experience. This is dangerous because it fools the asker into thinking they know and understand when they don't...

Most of them Bubba'd up their own stuff before they were allowed to Bubba up someone else's. :rotf:

They were bound to a master gunsmith to learn the trade, usually over a period of 7 years.

Today, those who have the natural talent and inclination to do so, study. A lot. We work, we practice, we take classes, we go to seminars, we spend enormous amounts of time, and enormous amounts of money to learn what we need to know, to buy the tools, to hone the skills.... it can take longer than 7 years.

Mess around with modern rifle barrels all you want. If you want to learn, that's part of it. BUT, since I'm definitely not a libertarian, I have no problem saying DO NOT mess with a historical gun unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY know what you're doing. :wink:

If you are asking about a modern "genuine, experienced flintlock gunsmith", I suspect that many of them learned to work on modern guns using schools or working with an experienced gunsmith. Then they went on to learn about working on old guns by reading and working with other gunsmiths who knew the in's and out's of flintlocks.

Even at this stage, they were not "experienced" so they then needed to work on old guns and learned thru the "school of hard knocks", (having success and making mistakes).

The thing is, if you want to learn about working on muzzleloaders modern guns and modern parts for them, just like the originals are available.

If you frinkle up a newly made Siler or L&R flintlock or a Rice barrel you've only lost a newly made part that cost a hundred or two dollars.

If you frinkle up an original pre-1850 barrel or lock you've lost history which is irreplaceable.

Go to rice barrels site and order a set of jaws for youre vice and a breech plug wrench.They work like a charm at getting you’re breech plug out.

Latest posts

Back