• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech plug removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkephart

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Do any of you fella's have a secret system for removing a breech plug that refuses to budge.
Have tried penetrating oil soak and heat from a propane torch(I'm hesitant to get it any hotter) all to no avail.

I have had no trouble removeing original plugs by sitting then submerged in mineral spirits with ocasional heating with a mapp gas torch- carefully.
: When it is time to put the wrench on it, it cannont be merely twisted off, as the wrench needs to be hit a sharp blow to 'break' the threads loose. This is no different from removing a rifle action. The "Sharp" blow is mandatory - normally. Twisting alone, usually results in slipping wrenches, marking up the surfaces and twisting off the threaded section.

It is a t/c but I am going to hone it to a smooth bore.
Charles I'm curious why you said not to remove it if its a t/c?

One reason that I know of is TC changed it's positon regarding the sale of breechplugs and now refuses to do it, so if you booger it up, you may have an unsolveable, or at best, an expensive repair on your hands trying to find a third party to fix things up for you...and TC breech plugs are a non-standard thread size, with some variance from model to model.
IMHO, you'd probably be much better off buying a TC Hawken "drop in" smoothbore barrel from Green Mountain...I bought one of their .62cal smoothbore flint barrels and it's outstanding

I like dealing with Ed Cain, Cain's Outdoor Supply, West Va....he's a big supplier of all sorts of TC parts, and the line of GM barels[url] also...cainsoutdoors.com[/url]...send an Email to Ed asking him for a price on what you want, etc
(you could order directly from GM but you'll pay full MSRP)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tackofthewolf sells GM barrels as well as TC breechplugs. They have senica as well as the 15/16 and 1" plugs.

Back