• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bright or browned?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are thoughts on browning harpers ferry and other military reproduction type pistols that historically were bright? I have a Centaur reproduction 1812 Virginia pistol that was never fired but was stored improperly and am reviving it. Most originals I see don’t have a lot of “bright” left, I also noticed Pedersoli ‘s harpers ferry has what appears to be a blued barrel.

How are you using it, as a period piece in a period setting, or as it would look today if it was an original?
How are you using it, as a period piece in a period setting, or as it would look today if it was an original?
. I believe as a period piece. That probably rules out browning the barrel. I was thinking a browning would lessen rust issues but I have others bright and a wipedown with light machine oil seems to help as well as not handling the bright parts while being stored.

Latest posts

Back