• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broke my Ram rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday was out shooting and my ram rod broke. I have read lot of post on this. I guess I was luck it only went through my pinky finger. :cursing: Gosh darn that hurt. Well I will live my wife said so there's hope. :) :hmm: I need to get a replacement. Its CVA Kentucky so will try them first. They might have a stash of them. :haha: I will try Wolf and any sugestions? I could make my own too. I do have one blank thats warped pretty bad. I would appreciate feed back. Thanks Hacksaw

Dixie Gun Works

They've got them by size and some by make and model.

They also strap them to a board when they mail 'em, so OOPS has trouble bustin' 'em. :rotf:

Legion

Do yourself a favor and don't buy another wooden one. You'd go better to spend your money on something that is less likely to break like fiberglass or some other material.It will cost more but in the long run you'll save money and your hand.

ssettle said:
Do yourself a favor and don't buy another wooden one. You'd go better to spend your money on something that is less likely to break like fiberglass or some other material.It will cost more but in the long run you'll save money and your hand.
Ditto, get one made of brass, stainless, fiberglass, etc...plus if that happens while out hunting, your hunt is over.

FWIW, I've had brass and stainless rods made for me by October Country

Thanks for the info. and to rest that answered too. I found them at Dixie. I also normally use my range rod that is Brass for general shooting but I didn't that day. Thanks

roundball said:
ssettle said:
Ditto, get one made of brass, stainless, fiberglass, etc...plus if that happens while out hunting, your hunt is over.

FWIW, I've had brass and stainless rods made for me by October Country

October Country had solid Brass rods. See my thread on it. I love em.

You might look into one of theses:[url] http://www.periodramrod.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
get a wooden one to use when its hanging on the wall. any other time use brass or fiberglass to cut down on puncture wounds. just my opinion and i have the scars to back it up.

Great idea. I have the warped one that I'll fix when I hang on the wall. I'll get fiberglass to use for hunting or shooting and I have my brass range rod.
I see those brass ones at October country. If I get a TC I have to get one of those. Then the Kentucky will be a wall hang mostly.

Just a suggestion. October Country charges about $10. for shipping to where I'm at. I was able to save additional shipping cost by ordering more than one. It was the same price on shipping for two. Did that make sense? :(

I've got one of MSM's super rods that I've always been happy with. But I've got a question. Does one material wear on the muzzle cone more than the others? Seems like I read some where in the past that some (either wood or fiberglass) wore the muzzle a bit if you did A LOT of shooting. Am I just remembering made up "facts"?

Shoot, those replacement pinky fingers ain't that easy to come by. I wouldn't recomend the "make my own" approach, but you get a lot of credit for being willing to use a warped blank !

But seriously, I'd like to see the data on barrel wear from the silicates present in wood/fiberglass rods. I'm thinking it's got to take a huge amount of use, plus some consistently bad technique, before it would effect shooting.

One FYI - I don't know what Track's synthetic (AKA Unbreakable ) rods are made of, but I just got one recently in 48". It was a good price, it's well made and packed (on a wood strip), but it's got a lot more flex than a fiberglass rod does. Something to be aware of, it may not even be noticeable in a shorter length.

Pierre a' Fusil said:
I wouldn't recomend the "make my own" approach, but you get a lot of credit for being willing to use a warped blank !

If the grain is running out on the ramrod blank get rid of it, its no more than a dowel or pistol ramrods. If its not a little heat and pressure will straighten it out. The bought ramrods are cut not split. A proper rod from a split is very durable, have'nt broke one yet even after digging one out of the 25yd berm. If you want the extra weight go with the brass. :v

I've bought two different solid black, space age, industructible, unbreakable rods (not necessarily from TOW) and in each case they broke before the range session was finished.

IMO, the amount of flexibility on that type of rod can actually be a problem...I don't lke to have to baby a ramrod and as tall as I am, I like to insert a 33" rod, reach to the top and make one downstroke.

Those synthetic rods are so flimsy/whippy that they "bow" so much when I've started the downstroke that they've snapped off right at the top of the metal accessory adapter.

Since I've gone to brass rods, no more problems of any kind....strong, rigid, etc.

Back