• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broken Trigger Guard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowolf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just noticed that a brass trigger guard on one of my rifles is broken, right at the front of the loop for the trigger. Can this be mended with JB Weld or epoxy? Or do I just bite the bullet and buy a new trigger guard? The break is clean.

Waya :curse:

It is cast?
Should be able to JB weld/or epoxy it, so long as you don't mind the blemish of the repair itself depending on how cleanly you do it.

Clean it really good with alcohol first then hot soapy water and let it dry.

Hi,
dont know jb weld here, so i would suggest to put both pats together and heat them up slightly with a torch (gas torch with camping gas will work well) and let the break fill up with some solding wire (hope this is correct term. Anyway. The tin/lead wire you put this tiny non pc correct electronic elements on platines with...). Let cool down and sand/polish all spures. This should last for the next decades ;)

Hope this works for you.

Best wishes,
Stimpy

:thumbsup:

I have to agree with Stimpy c.
A good soldered joint will be stronger than any epoxy or other man made material.

I would also say that if you can find some "silver solder" like the stuff they sell at hardware stores it is even stronger than the lead-tin or tin based solders.

Clean the joints with a good degreaseing solution (like acetone or lacqure thinner).
Flux the surface well, assemble and clamp it so the joint is held tight and in the right position.
Heat the whole area gently until the solder melts when it touches the hot metal. (Don't melt the solder with the torch and don't overheat the metal. This is not one of the "more is better" things).
The solder should flow into the joint by itself. Use as much solder as it takes to completly fill the joint and let it cool to room temperature before you unclamp it.

Remove the excess solder with fine wet/dry sandpaper and repolish the area.

If the joint won't solder for you try a gunsmith.
If nothing works, then try the JBs but I suspect it will break again. :(

Back