• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverranger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking fwd.to hunting in the PA Flintlock season with my .75 Cal Brown Bess. Any BB users out there?

:thumbsup:
I took a doe with mine year before last. Might hafta try again after I get some blood on my new rifle.

I used my Bess to hunt everything when I first got the flintlock bug . Now I have more guns than time to hunt them all LOL.

I have had a first model in the works for a few years now.. yepper I will hunt with it when finished :thumbsup:

Nice! How much powder? Details! Any experiences with shooting shot through it for smaller critters?

Riverranger said:
Any experiences with shooting shot through it for smaller critters?

I used mine a bunch for snowshoe hares last year. With 1 5/8 oz of #6 shot, lubed fiber wad and 80 grains of 2f it was excellent to 30 yards, and would have done further for sure if I had tried. That large a shot charge for snowshoes may sound excessive, but I was using an English shot bag and that's what it dropped.

BTW- I got even better patterns using Goex 1f powder, but ran out. More will arrive someday.

Another BTW- It worked absolutely fine with the 1f in the pan.

Used to was I did. I had a 1758 Light Infantry (Bess of 16 bore & 42" barrel) and, out to 50 yards, it was a real whomper. Worked as well as a rifled slug from a suppository gun.

Also grim death on squirrels, seated rabbits, but grouse and running bunnies I might as well have tried running them down with the bayonnet.

Riverranger said:
Nice! How much powder? Details! Any experiences with shooting shot through it for smaller critters?

The deer I shot was with a .715 wheel weight ball in a .018 ticking patch over 80 grains of 2F Goex. She was quartering toward me at 35-40 yards at the very last legal minute of the season. Hit just back of the shoulder and ended up in the gut. She was quartering more toward me than I thought... Wasn't my best ever shot. But she didn't go far at all.

I have shot squirrels using the same powder charge, 80 grains of 2F. Then a thick card, 100 grain measure of 6's, and a thin card. Have not really spent ay time working up the best shot load tho. Keep meaning to do that...

I worked up a load for small game that shoots as good as any modern shotgun.
70 grains of Fg lubed wad ,plastic shotcup for reloading steel shot full to the top with #4 and a thin over shot card.Have taken squirrels up to 35 yds , but try to limit to 30 yds max.

Guys,
Thanks for all the input-means the world.Being surrounded by "Inliners" and people trying to "cheat" its nice to have my smoothbore fantasies understood. Loved each and every story! PA Flintlock Season in January-then onto small game. Nice to comm. with people who "get it."

I have carried mine with a punkin' ball deer hunting but never got a shot.
Have hunted squirrels with it using 78 gr. 2Fg and 1 1/4 oz. #7 1/2 shot. Works just fine. Those charges were from my Irish and English dropper pouches. Got great patterns. Would have liked to get a turkey with it. Maybe some day when my bum shoulder will be able to hold it up again. Meantime, I'll use my JB 20 ga. fowler.
BTW, I always enjoyed shooting my BB, one of the funnest guns to own and shoot I have ever had.

[color=orange]I took my "Bess" afield for the first time this year as well. I thought that it carried much lighter than it is. I hunt in NH and the forrest is pretty grown up however I didn't find the length to be an issue.

My Bess is a Pedersoli, I use 100 Grns 2F and 15-20 Grns of 4F for priming. I used a wad of neswprint over the powder and a greased .735 rnd ball with another wad of greased newsprint to hold it in place. pre season practice showed that I was minute of deer at about 50 Yds off hand so that was my limit. No animals were killed or injured making this post! :( :grin:
[/color]

Thanks fellas!
Loaded her up as described by "Jethro", with the exception of using 3F. Very pleased with the results. Ordered wads and shot cards-looking fwd. to THAT.

Back