• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Manufacturers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK in PA

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone give some ideas on where to find/who makes a Brown Bess? The only manufacturer I know of is Pedersoli with their short land model, which I've seen at Dixons and Cabelas. Any other manufacturers, especially one(s) that might make a long land repro?

Try Loyalist Arms and Middlesex Village Trading Company. These are the India made imports, but have gotten some good reviews. And a lot chaeper than a Pedersoli.

There is also Navy Arms...
[url] http://www.navyarms.com/html/mil_flintlocks.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebel’s right, unfortunately. There’s just not anyone else making low cost 1st model Besses, and they do under cut Perdersoli by a good bit. The Indian-made replicas are fair, but the exotic wood stocks and the negative comments I’ve read from other forum members about what they had to do to get their Baker rifles up to snuff does not inspire me to open my wallet for one.
However, we are ruled by our pocket books, and I’d suggest searching out the better of the two dealers between LA, and MVTC. Good customer service can really compensate for fair craftsmanship.
Good luck :thumbsup:

I finally got all of the first model castings to make one... Lots-o-money in those parts. More so then in building a Kentucky by a couple hundred, and I have to assemble the lock castings. :youcrazy: If I wasn't insane I would pick up one of the reproductions. This will be a gun though, that I can carry at the different events (all dressed in red) and say heres one that I built. Besides the first gun I built this will be the second gun that I am not building for anyone else but me. Its a good thing too, cause I don't believe anyone would like to see the price tag on it. :grin:

The Loyalist Arms 1728 1st model Bess seems to be displacing the Pedersoli 2nd model as the most commonly carried musket for crown forces at F&I events (authentic for AWI to). I recommend that you buy one from one of the distributors that sells em at reenactments or market fairs. This will give you a chance to decide if the workmanship meets your expectations. I have seen a lot of variation in the quality of inletting and lock mark engraving. Cherry pick one and you'll be satisfied. Good value for $600-700. Now, if you have more disposable income then you know what to do with, ask about a musket assembled from Rifle Shoppe parts.

I picked up a new unfired Japanese built Short Land Pattern Brown Bess on[url] gunbroker.com[/url] for $650.00. I've reworked it so that it looks a lot more like an original. It's been a very enjoyable project. The India made musket while nearly perfect in details, doesn't seem quite as high quality as the Jap and Italian made guns. I understand Pedresoli may be coming out with a Long Land Pattern next year. I'll probably buy one.

Question about the Ist Model Or Long Land Pattern Brown Bess Musket.......

Dear Mr. Lewis,

Thank you for the inquiry.

Yes we are working on this project and we forecast to be on the market at the end of 2006.

Best regards,
Customer Service

DAVIDE PEDERSOLI & C.
Via Artigiani 57
I-25063 GARDONE VALTROMPIA (Brescia)
Italy
ph.030 8915000 fax 030 8911019[url] www.davide-pedersoli.com[/url]

Italy, or India; Walnut or Rosewood. . . :hmm:
Sounds like a no-Brainer to me.
Nothing against LA, or MVTC for that matter, but India Muskets can't compare to Pedersoli.
Does anyone even know what company is making the Indian muskets?

If you're going to buy a musket that's incorrect, why not spend $500 instead of $1000+? That's the no brainer to me.

Swampman said:
The Italian Brown Bess muskets are better quality. Neither is incorrect.
You're right Swampman, One's about as good as the other as far as authenticity goes. I'm hoping Perdersoli has taken note of the market trend and will adjust accordingly, because right now, they just arn't competetive. :shake:

My problem with the Pedersoli Muskets is that they do not look or handle "right" due to their oversized breech. I have to admit that I am not as familiar with the Brown Bess replicas as the Charlevilles. I owned a M1777 Pedersoli Charleville and finally sold it off. I realized that the breech simply could not be corrected. The problem is even more pronounced with their M1763 Charleville. In its original form, the M1763 was known for being slender and graceful. A comparison of the original with the Pedersoli will quickly show that this is not the case with the Pedersoli, which looks misshapened. On the other hand, the pictures of the Indian-made M1777 on the Military Heritage site look to be much closer to proper proportions.

As for Brown Besses, I do not know how oversized the Pedersoli breech might be. However, the pictures I have seen of the Middlesex and Military Heritage Besses look more correct than what I have seen of the Pedersolis. As for quality--yes, the Pedesolis have an edge. But the Indian made guns look to be hand-made and perhaps forged as were the originals or closer anyway than castings and stampings. Aside from the cost difference, I can rework and stain a rosewood stock to look pretty close to old dark walnut, but I still haven't found a way to alter that oversized breech and correct the lines of a Pedersoli.

The original Brown Bess muskets varied so much in size that it would be hard to say what is correct. Most reproductions are skimpy when it comes to bore size. None of the imports are as big overall a real full spec. Brown Bess. Full spec. Long Land Pattern muskets are huge and heavy. The skimpy wood at the toe of the stock makes reproductions look clubby. I really like my Jap made Brown Bess.

IMO the Tower (Japanese)Besses are the best. I'd buy one in a heart beat if I found one. My only dificulty with 'em is the springs seem so chunky. and the flash pan is too shallow. But over all, I think it outshines the Pedersoli.

Back