• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brown bess sighting HELP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneck

36 Cal.
Reaction score
i just got a pedrosolie bess carbine. 30 in barrel. it shoots 2 foot hi at 50 yards any help would be welcome. i am using 715 rb and 20 th. patch. 80 gr 2f swiss

Treat it like a shotgun. Lower your line of sight along the bbl until all you see is the front post.

What yakimaman said.
With no rear sight it is a matter of finding the 'anchor point' for you to be on target. Then with practice it becomes a matter of muscle memory. Much easier to type than do. I haven't found mine yet with my fowler.

High combs on the stock make these very awkward to use. Then the thicker breech and thinner muzzle make matters worse acting as a high rear sight.

A faster load can help sometimes by spitting the ball out sooner before to much muzzle flip.

B.

Ball is way past the muzzle before it "flip's".

It's all a matter of sight picture,how much barrel you show,and the previous poster is correct,the high comb of the Pedersolli is a rather difficult fire arm to use,and that IS by design.

The Brit's didn't want the line soldier to "aim" his gun,he pointed it at the opposing line.

I built my Bess with a touch more drop and a bit of cast off,and she shoot's like a dream!

So once you figure out how much barrel you show,you'll do well!

I have to hold my head way back and then sight right down the barrel,pretty awkward but works for me

Dont shoot like an American. Shoot like a British soldier. Face your target. Spread your feet about shoulder width. Mount the weapon and place head near the rear of the comb. Your barrel should be pointed at the target and perpendicular to your legs. Odd for us yankees, but you'll find that a weapon with little drop on the comb works better this way.

Bob

I show about an inch of barrel below the bayonet lug when I shoot my Bess. I scribed a line in the tang for a horizontal reference. Try showing more barrel.

Many Klatch

You indicated I said flips by writing your self "flips" as in quoting me.

I never said flips in my opening post sir!

As the charge burns an ever increasing motion is applied to the gun and ball even when the ball is in the barrel.

Sometimes, often even, changing a charge weight can change the point of impact height other than just by the speed of the ball it self.

B.

Not going to make a big deal out of it,but you did say flip. Quotes and adding an s gives it past tense. I dont get the issue. Sir.

Quite a few slow motion video's show everything out the end of the barrel before the barrel moves.

Not an expert. Sorry you are offended. Didnt mean to.

I think we're all aware that a critical point in shooting one of these things is what happens when the load exits the muzzle and there's a lot of factors affecting where that ball goes.

Centerfire folks know that any irregularity in the crown can significantly alter POI; for our part, a loose patch or a badly patched ball can have the same result.

My experience with the Bess was mixed: one hit out of three at 50 yards with "standard" loads but I was told that was pretty consistent with the gun.

Or you can use the "buck and ball" naval load and you'll hit something.

Rus

found out its one of dixies old indian trade mskets. dragon side plate, tack job. goona call em for more info. they sold em decades ago when turner was the boosway

pathfinder Ted said:
Not going to make a big deal out of it,but you did say flip. Quotes and adding an s gives it past tense. I dont get the issue. Sir.

Quite a few slow motion video's show everything out the end of the barrel before the barrel moves.

Not an expert. Sorry you are offended. Didnt mean to.

Not offended at all sir :hatsoff:
You quoted me un-accuratly and slightly out of context sir.

Yes all the shot has gone before any major flip of the muzzle, otherwise the OP would recording hits 6 or more feet high!

There is however some verticle movement whilst that ball is still in the barrel, slight as it may be it is there!

The longer the ball is in the tube the more it will be angled up during the firing.

Hang a pound weight on the muzzle and see what happens.

B :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back