• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning a lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm at the stage of building my Kibler where colonial where I'm thinking of browning... and I see three options: 1) Do I disassemble the lock and brown everthing except for the springs? 2) Use a brush and carefully apply browning solution to everything but the springs? Or, 3) Do I pull a mad max and just let go and apply the browning solution to everything??

I seem to remember that I need some sort of tool to compress the main spring. If this is still the case, where can I find one at a reasonable price? I don't particularly need a professional-quality item—just one that is serviceable.

I seem to remember that I need some sort of tool to compress the main spring. If this is still the case, where can I find one at a reasonable price? I don't particularly need a professional-quality item—just one that is serviceable.

Mainspring Vise. Track of The Wolf has them. I’m not sure how much they cost but they’re not expensive.

You can do it with a vice grips, but it is risky (think spring ricocheting all over your work area). Secesh has listed the preferred option.

Ricocheting springs make for a long day in the workshop, the mainspring vise is oh so much fun (and you need more gear anyway, you know you want one, don’t try to fight it!)

Attachments

• IMG_8889.gif
    IMG_8889.gif
    679 KB · Views: 0
Got mine from Track. Not expensive. You likely will only use it just for this finishing. Even though I did disassemble lock, I decided to leave it as is.

Attachments

• 20240725_121349.jpg
    20240725_121349.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I brown the outside of lock plate and pan, I polish the inside of the pan, all the parts of the hammer, all of the frizzen except the face where the flint hits and the ends of any of the screws that show where they come to the surface of the lock plate as well as the outside of frizzen spring. I don't brown the top of the frizzen spring where the foot of the frizzen rides, you want this nice and shiny You want the lock internals to be as bright and shiny as a new dime.

Mine end up like this;

finishe lock molding.JPG

I brown the outside of lock plate and pan, I polish the inside of the pan, all the parts of the hammer, all of the frizzen except the face where the flint hits and the ends of any of the screws that show where they come to the surface of the lock plate as well as the outside of frizzen spring. I don't brown the top of the frizzen spring where the foot of the frizzen rides, you want this nice and shiny You want the lock internals to be as bright and shiny as a new dime.

Mine end up like this;

View attachment 336989

If you don’t mind me asking, what brand of browning solution do you use?

I took mine apart and warmed the parts with a heat gun and dipped them in Plum brown. I did not stain the springs or face of the frizzen

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Brown looks great especially on an SMR. My SMR has a brown lock. Just something to consider often locks were I browned or un blued in the old days
In the white also looks good
I agree with the folks above you only brown the outside, inside needs to be bright

If you haven’t disassembled and reassembled a lock before, I’d advise getting someone to help you. Be careful when removing the tumbler and re-installing it. Do not lose the fly. The cocks are pressed onto the tumbler axles fairly tight.
As someone who nearly lost a fly I 100% agree. I’ll add, take a picture of the lock components before you do any disassembly. Jim Kibler has a very good video on disassembling and reassembling his lock which will set you up nicely for working on just about any lock…watch it several times before you do anything to that lock. He also sells a very sturdy punch for removing the tumbler.

Back