• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyFAmerica

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently browned my older T/C Hawken using some old Tru-Brown that I had and I'm pleased with the results.[url] http://photobucket.com/albums/v686/FlyFAmerica/Hawken/[/url]

I haven't shot it since and therefore haven't cleaned it using my conventional system of pumping boiling or near boiling water thru the barrel with the nipple removed and the breech in a pot of hot water. My concern is the warning that came on the TOW instruction sheet that "boiling browned parts will permanently convert the nice chocolate brown oxide (FE2O3) to the more modern looking black oxide (FE3O4)"
Will this happen if I clan my barrel this way?
Thanks, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
No....have done that many times and the barrel is still brown and hasn't changed from the original color......Fred

P1040008.jpg

I browned this renegade about 2 years ago and use hot hot water to clean the barrel still is the same brown color.
I think if you boil it for about 5 min: in distilled water,then you will start to see a blue finish :thumbsup:

There's no need for hot water. It just makes your barrel rust. Use tepid water or windshield waser fluid. It works perfectly.

I'm guessing here but, normally the last step of the browning process is to oil the finish.

The conversion of rust types is a chemical process with water adding the needed ingrediants.

When I rust blued the barrel on my pistol, the boiling did convert the browning to blue, but the boiling water was in direct contact with the bare browned steel surface and the instructions involved boiling it for several minutes. They also mandated that absolutly NO oil should get on the metal until the whole process was complete.
They recommended wearing rubber gloves to keep even the oil in a persons fingerprints off of the metal.

The bottom line is no, a little boiling water won't convert the rust type.

Back