• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buck and ball in a pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve A.

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all

Just posting out of curiosity. Has that combination ever been used in a pistol? Or maybe just buckshot? I'd think that'd be a real mean combination when things got up close and personal on the frontier or a battlefield. I'd think it'd have the same effect and a sawn off shotgun?

I wouldn't hurt to try eight #3 buck in a .62 caliber smoothbore pistol. Pattern it on a silhouette target at 7yds and see how it does.

Hey thanks. I don't actually own a smoothbore. :redface: I'd just been reading the posts here. Saw quite a bit about buck n ball loads,but noone had mentioned it in a pistol so i decided to ask :grin:

I have a .64 smoothbore flintlock pistol. With one .64 round ball and 4 - .32 Cal balls on top of it and 45 gr. of powder it will jump a bit :youcrazy: but it would be really deadly at 15 feet.

The only time I tried it was at a rendezvous. The shooting program was over and there was a big rotten stump about 15 feet down range. I loaded her up and aimed at the stump. Dirt and sawdust flew all over. I didn't see where the balls all hit, but it was fun.

Many Klatch

A friend loaded his .75 cal smooth pistol with 10 .32 cal balls just for fun at our last rondy, it looked like it would be deadly at 50' it patterned at about 4'. He used his 12gauge wads and loadad it just like he does his shotgun :grin: :grin:

Sounds like fun :thumbsup: I'm glad to see it's actually been done. I was afraid it was another stupid question.

Russianblood how good would birdshot in a pistol be for hunting?

You'll starve to death trying to eat chipmunks!!!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Back