• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buck & Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ben_tree...I find your numbers interesting. :redthumb:
If, in fact, having the buck shot lie concentric with the ball improves the "pattern"......??
I do think there would be at least some distortion from the weight variance between the shot and the ball. All of this, of course, remains to be worked out through actual shooting before anyone can say for sure. Just thinking of all this gives me a headache.

Russ

Hi Russ
Not sure if having the shot lie flat will improve the pattern or not in buck and ball loads, but it should enable just buckshot to be loaded tight leaving less space to fill out with a buffer load.
I have been reloading buckshot shells like this to enable me to make a short 57mm shell throwing 4 layers of 7 balls each of .24 dimeter. Nasty recoil but very effective.
I will be trying some loads like this out as well lots of potential for experimenting.

Cheers
Ben

You could always load a patched round ball, over shot card, three buck shot, another over shot card and run it all down at once...

With the shot on top of the ball the ball retain its velocity better and will push the shot aside after leaving the muzzle. Improved patterns, in theory, would come from placing the shot beneath the ball. Perhaps powder, op card, shot then a ball patched or with a OS card would be the loading sequence. In reality I don't know how much of a difference in the pattern this would make, but that is my theory. :results:

Improved patterns, in theory, would come from placing the shot beneath the ball. Perhaps powder, op card, shot then a ball patched or with a OS card would be the loading sequence. In reality I don't know how much of a difference in the pattern this would make, but that is my theory. :results:

Best way to find out would be to fire a series of shots each way and record the best groups...

You would think so, but from what i have read about it just the opposite is true. Seems that you get better patterns with the buckshot on top, but the only way to know for sure with your gun would be to try it both ways.

Keith's theory is correct as far as the travel of the ball is concerned. IT will slow, slower and thereby pass the shot. HOWEVER!- by the time this takes place, the shot will have spread far enough that the bal won't touch them - hense, there should be no difference in pattern. Do know, that a single shot or two won't suffice at all - at least 6 rounds and better yet for a difinitive test, 25 to 50 should be fired - so have at it. Do let us know how it turns out, old boy. Thankyou.

Back