• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bucket list

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
O.K. Guys and Gals What is on your hunting bucket list with your favorite muzzleloader? Mine is either a Maine Black Bear hunt (I hear they get pretty big up there)maybe Vermont? or a Elk Hunt out west, Which state would be the best for muzzleloader Elk? I would probably get a .54 for this hunt or double ball my .50 cal. What say ya'll.

Since I live out west, and have already done a bunch of mule deer and elk hunting, my goal is to go the opposite route. I would love to kill a nice eastern whiltetail buck, preferably in northern Georgia with my daughter, before I die. I missed a nice buck there last year, and the hunting was quite a challenge for me, like I was put on another planet. So the glove has been thrown down for me, there's my challenge.

P.S. I had no idea that country was so beautiful, and the low altitude made it that much more enjoyable. Bill

Moose, 'Bou, and the ever elusive Wapati...those big Bear in alaska would be good too! Oh and I wouldn't double the ball the .50 I would just go up in size...playing with a .729 myself after using a .62 last year. When hunting animals the size of a Buick size DOES matter.

Snow

Ruffed grouse in northern Wisconsin with my double flint 20 gauge. And when I've missed those, I'd like to miss a few pheasants over dogs in southern Michigan with my Carolina smoothbore 20 ga. flintlock.

Spence :grin:

George said:
Ruffed grouse in northern Wisconsin with my double flint 20 gauge. And when I've missed those, I'd like to miss a few pheasants over dogs in southern Michigan with my Carolina smoothbore 20 ga. flintlock.

Spence :grin:

Spence, I like the way you think Sir!

The very first inkling of an idea I had about muzzleloaders was the cover art on a Boy's Life back sometime in the fifties. A frontiersman was going after a standing grizzly after having had his rifle smashed by the bear's swiping paw. I believe he had a bowie knife in his teeth. I don't want to confront a grizzly with my .50 flinter, but I'd settle for a fifty pound black bear in West Virginia or North Carolina.

The very first inkling of an idea I had about muzzleloaders was the cover art on a Boy's Life back sometime in the fifties. A frontiersman was going after a standing grizzly after having had his rifle smashed by the bear's swiping paw. I believe he had a bowie knife in his teeth. I don't want to confront a grizzly with my .50 flinter, but I'd settle for a fifty pound black bear in West Virginia or North Carolina.

I'd like to take a mtn. lion with a flintlock, treed by hounds of course., but from what I have been reading I need to kill a few wolves.

kbuck said:
Yer kiddin right!! I got a Austalian Shepard that weighs more. Probably hunt over bait too...Hey don't hunt the Piedmont...

Ducks and geese in Saskatchewan with the Robins 10 ga. Fowler I'm building..
Snow shoe rabbits -in a deep dark tamarack swamp with the 40 cal.
Elk..bull or cow with the 62 flinter.
Whitetail deer from a canoe and 54 cal flinter.
To do more than scare the grouse in Northern Wisconsin!(no swatting)12 ga. flinter( Spence we need to talk!)
Sand-hill crane with the 12 ga. flinter.
Coyote called in with the 36 cal.

I would love to hunt both moose and elk. I would like to pack in on horseback and use my 50 flinter. I can almost smell the campfires and meat cooking. I would also like to take the turkey grandslam with a smoothbore flinter!!

My dream is for my son and I to go out to the rockies and do some Elk huntin together!! He's only 7 now but he's growin' so fast.He's been squirrel huntin' with me for the last 2 seasons and I hope to get him out for deer this year if he can just learn to keep quiet. I just hope he gets old enough to go before I get too old to take him!! :grin:

Swede50 said:
Take my father Elk hunting in Colorado. :thumbsup:
I lost my dad this past August and I will NEVER forget all the great times we had huntin' together. Take my advise and do WHATEVER it is you have to do to work it out,you won't regret it!! May the good lord take a likin' to ya' and make it happen!! :hatsoff:

Back