• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckshot for coyotes in cylinder bores?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with buckshot out of cylinder bored smoothbores?

Wondering about the effective range for coyotes in thickets.

I've taken two dogs in the last two evenings and am itching to take my 12 gauge smoothie before all this snow melts.

Please chime in all !!!

Best regards, Skychief.

Buckshot is one of those interesting but frustrating things when used in muzzleloading smoothbores. In modern guns it can be very effective at reasonable range. The problem is that without modern shotcups, etc. it's difficult to get matching results. I've piddled with paper shotcups, buffer material and other bright ideas but am still having difficulty getting the results I like. To date I'd recommend keeping the shots inside 25 yards, especially on those "singing dogs". You'll have to try some different twists in your own gun. The paper cup folded at both ends seems to work best, but be sure to make it a bit undersized for the bore size so the concussion impact will split the paper enough so it doesn't come out like a big slug. Good luck!

Stumpkiller said:
I'd recommend #2 instead. More hits.

20ga load below is what I put together for a Coyote load.
Shot charge may seem high at first glance but there's a lot of wasted air space in a charge of big #2 pellets.

80grns Goex 3F
3 Felt Wads
1+3/4oz Chilled #2s
2 OS cards

I've clanked a bunch of coyotes with shot as small as #6 (while hunting pheasants) and as large as 00 in modern guns. Our top pick for calling and killing with modern guns is now #4 Buck. A single hit with those smallest "buckshot" kills to a surprising distance. We've dropped them with single shots at 60-70 yards.

But you gotta get them into the critter, which is another kettle of fish with a CYL muzzleloader. For me #4 buck is the largest I'd use from a ML, in order to stretch the range a little due to denser patterns.

But in fact I'm in agreement with the recommendations you're hearing for using plain old #2 hardened birdshot. With some load development I'm betting you can get "coyote dense" patterns to around 40 yards- i.e., multiple hits from a single shot. At that point I'd suspect that #4 buck patterns were getting a little thin, even if you only needed a single hit to do the deed.

Only one way to find out- Shoot your gun with different combos. I'd say the heck with pattern testing closer than 40 yards. If you can't get the # of hits you want with any combo at 40 yards, then you could move the paper up to 30 yards. But I'm betting you don't have to do that.

Experimenting is about all you can do to see how your gun works. I too had a job needing a few loads of mag #00 sitting on the back seat. Only time I ever had to use it was a pack of feral dogs doing a number on the county's livestock. Walked up on that pack at about 20-25 yards and the two Alpha dogs decided to challenge me...not good Kimosabe! Wasn't traditional but it works like hotcakes up close!

Back