• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckshot in Fowlers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ridge for asking a great question and thanks all for the great info! I ordered a tulle kit in 20 gauge at the Kalamazoo show last weekend. I had a few ideas about fun loads but I guess I'm not as creative as some. :hmm:

Mine is a 12 gauge/72 caliber. 30 caliber balls stack nicely and it's alot like a riot shotgun load. #4's are the standard FBI shotgun load. out of a 12 gauge, they throw 24 #4 balls. Each number ball has about 100 pounds of energy at close range. If you got hit with all of the balls, it's being hit with 2400 pounds of energy !! That is a tue man stopper. Buck shot is pretty impressive out of a BP smoothbore. I like buckshot as if I'm awakened, I'm real groggy, and I can't guarantee I can place one round ball in the right spot. I sleep with the smoothbore pistol next to my head and the end of the barrel near my feet. If I get startled, it's easy to just grab the gun and lift. That load is 100 Gr. of 2F with one over powder card, one felt wad and one over shot wad.
Ohio Rusty

I'm about 5'10". The pistol is 66 caliber. I can throw 30 caliber ball, lead bb's, or #6 shot out of the pistol.
I started carrying a pistol a few years ago because when I was out small game hunting, it seemed that while sitting, the small game would come too close for a rifle shot. The smoothbore pistol was just the ticket. I always wanted a T/C contender in .410, but a flintlock light dragoon pistol is just as effective. I mean't to say that the end of the Tulle barrel is near my feet. The pistol I carry in a shoulder holster on the outside of my frock coat, behind the haversack. I've tried sleeping with the gun holstered, but it's uncomfortable when you roll over on the pistol in the holster.
Ohio Rusty

I've tried sleeping with the gun holstered, but it's uncomfortable when you roll over on the pistol in the holster.

I can sympathize with that. I spent many nights sleeping with a pistol in a shoulder holster and/or a rifle inside my sleeping bag. You do eventually learn not to roll that direction.

When I first got my smoothbore .62 from Track of the Wolf I told them to send me #4 shot. I figured I could use that turkey hunting. Well they sent me #4 Buck. Without even looking (and excited to shoot) I loaded it up and shot a couple rounds. I was only using 80 grains of Goex 2f and 100 grains of #4 buck. I was shooting across the yard at a gallon paint can. It sure tore the yard up good.

Since then I bought the right shot needed for bird hunting. I still once in a while go out and blast a little buck shot around. Recoil is kind of brutal but it shoots good.

All I do after the powder/over the shot card/lubed fiber wad/home rolled paper cartridge which I fill with shot/ and then two over the shot cards. Once you shoot, the paper cartidge flutters to the ground about six feet in front of the smoothbore. I do the same thing with bird shot too... So far it is working good.

We will see what happens on turkey real soon. My load is 90 grains Goex 2f - 110 grains #6 shot. If I can get them within 25 yards, the pattern and power look real good. Time will tell.

Back