• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buckskin patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i am looking for a pattern for a buckskin shirt and buckskin vest have a few skins and want to make them

try http://www.crazycrow.com/ they have several different patterns. If you are using regular commercial tanned deer skins they will be clamy when its hot and sticky as they do not breth well. It usually takes about 5 average size skins to make a pair of britches for a size 36 waist by 34 or so inseam. A vest can be made with two hides for an average size man with a 48 inch chest and up to 38 waist, as the size of a person increases so does the number of hides it takes to make a garment mostly because they differ much from yardages of cloth.

Last edited by a moderator:
PC021162.jpg

Here's a frontier shirt that Crazy crow has the pattern for.

im 17 and honestly i dont have any money to put into buying a pattern or anything but i have material and i am looking for a fre pattern if anyone knows a website. thank you

R.Thornbury said:
im 17 and honestly i dont have any money to put into buying a pattern or anything but i have material and i am looking for a fre pattern if anyone knows a website. thank you
What size do you wear? PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Yer more than welcome. Always do our best to help the young folks out. Should be in the mail to you in the morning.

hey Micanopy your a nice guy! I see why..... your from texas. :thumbsup:

If you have an old shirt, that is too big for you still, you can take it apart, and use the pieces for a pattern to make any new shirt.

If you use a worn-out current shirt, that is tight, you can adjust the measurements to make the sleeves longer, the shoulders wider, The chest/stomach wider, etc. Take your current measurements( the help of a friend is just the ticket, here) and record them.

When working with any leather its better to make the garment too big than too snug. They are difficult enough to put on and off, when they are too big. They are next to impossible to get off if they are too snug, unless you stand in the shower and wet the clothes down.

Leather is HOT in the summer, and COLD in the winters. A oversized shirt can be worn OVER another shirt to provide better warmth in the winter time. The Book of Buckskinning has very good color photos of leather hunting shirts that can inspire you. And even the pictures in the Crazy Crow site will give you a better idea of what these shirts should look like.

Oh, last comment: If you want to actually wear this shirt Hunting, put the rough side of the hide OUT. Most people make shirts with the shiny side out. This reflects a lot of light, and makes any movement of your upper body easy to see even in the woods. If you use the rough side out, light is Not reflected easily off its surfaces, and movements are much harder to see. The darker, rough side also seems to blend in to the background in woods, than the shiny side will.

Finally, putting the slick, or shiny side inside will make it easier to slide a wet( from body sweat) leather shirt off your body, and off any undershirt. I joined two other club members, years ago, to help pull a hunting shirt off another member, where he put the rough side in, and wore the shirt in a parade, in July! It took 3 of us, together with the shirt wearer, to get the thing off. One each pulled on the sleeves, while the third lifted the shirt up and away from his skin on his back. He pulled up on the shirt in the front, when we alternately lowered one arm or the other. :surrender: :thumbsup:

Mike Brines said:
PC021162.jpg

Here's a frontier shirt that Crazy crow has the pattern for.

Please take this in the spirit of assistance...

If you are in any way going for a PC/HC look, stay away from that shirt (pattern).

I wear that because I earned it. I killed both those elk, packed out the meat and hide, had the hides tanned, and then moved them around with us for 20 years. My wifeangel said either do something with them, or sell them.
Besides, I'm not much into HC or PC. I just want to have fun.

a fellow young shooter? I tell ya this, haus, commercial vegetable tanned leather is no good fro real buckskin. Doesn't hold shape, nor form. Hot as hell in the summer and cold as ice in the winter. What you want is a real brain/soap/egg yolk tanned, hardwood smoked hide. It's not hard to do if you have a fresh hide off a carcass.

Back in the old days there weren't any patterns, just a general guideline of cutting to fit. The old buckskin shirt had no collars, nor stitching. The seems were closed with fringes tied in knots.

The basic shirt was in four peices. The back, the front, and the two sleeves, with the arm holes of the sleeve being higher that what you might be used to.

Lay out your hide and measure the width of your shoulders, the width of your chest, the width of your belly, and the length between each measure (it helps to draw this out). Do the same on your backside, and apply these measurements to some cheap manure fabric and jury rig up a front and back jerkin-thingy.

Measure the length of your shoulder tip to your wrist, the width of your upper arm and add a few inches for room. Do the same with your wrist. Set this sleeve tube on the shirt, and set at the angle you like, trim off overlay and fringe it shut.

I know this is all pretty fague, but through a bit of planning, you'll have something to be proud of. No pattern is made to custom fit your body, so why bother wasting cash on it? btw, eastern fringe is about 1 to 2 inches long, rocky mountain fringe is up to 4 inches long.

Back