• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buff hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool! They certainly earned those. I woulda liked to seen em on horses instead of in a truck but I guess you can't have everything. Still #5 and #7 Longhunter record bulls, kudos to them. :thumbsup:

Very cool. I'm possibly going to Montana in Jan/Feb for a Bison hunt myself. This will be my second hunt. I'm only hunting a meat bull/cow. A 2 year old. The last 2 year old was great to eat.

gmww said:
Very cool. I'm possibly going to Montana in Jan/Feb for a Bison hunt myself. This will be my second hunt. I'm only hunting a meat bull/cow. A 2 year old. The last 2 year old was great to eat.

Good luck, becareful and take pictures to share.

Buck.

buck conner said:
Swampy said:
Cool! They certainly earned those. I woulda liked to seen em on horses instead of in a truck but I guess you can't have everything. Still #5 and #7 Longhunter record bulls, kudos to them. :thumbsup:

Swampy is this more to your liking. Have shot a few of them things over the years. :(
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj68/buckconner/?action=view&current=78db00f5.pbw

Very cool, nice pic's, talk about up close and personal! That is definately something I want to do in my next life time. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here was the two year old I took back in 2004 with my Cabela's Hawkens, .54.

28320post1.JPG

Montana looks like a good place to hunt buffalo. I've been thinking about a hunt for a while but I started looking at some of the you tube videos and an awful lot of the hunts are not what I think most of us would want- very small areas, fences, more like just shooting a barnyard cow. The open country there in Montana and on the Crow Reservation- that's what I want.
My grandfather got charged by a buffalo bull near the Wind River mountains probably 70 years ago- when there weren't that many buffalo left. Fortunately he had a car nearby but the point is, if you hunt buffalo in the wide open spaces then you face the hazards of the endeavor.
For me, I think I would want to try crawling up to them, the "approach method" with a wolf ear cap and light blue capote. Has anyone done it that way with wild buffalo and did they run or think you were a wolf?
And, it seems most folks butcher their buffalo like a deer but I'd like trying the full mountain man treatment, split the hide on top and take the hump ribs, fleece, etc. Roast the marrow bones, whole thing.

The only other thing I wish they had done is loose the camo and "really" hunt them traditional all the way in period attire.

Never hunted buffs, but I hunted predators all the way traditional the last years I did it.

Swampy said:
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj68/buckconner/?action=view&current=78db00f5.pbw

Very cool, nice pic's, talk about up close and personal! That is definately something I want to do in my next life time. :thumbsup:

The earlier pictures shown of getting close was being younger and wanting the animal down. The picture of the young bull making a charge at me was exciting. It was below zero with just a cotton shirt and a union suit on upper body (didn't want anything to slow reactions down). I could feel the sweat drip off my shoulders and hit my lower back. If you look close at the picture you can see the smoke coming out of the pan as well as the muzzle. He died witin 25 feet of me. The cleanup on me only took an hour. :rotf: :grin: :wink:

I try for one shot kills and when doing this type of shooting carry two flinters. Both guns are smooth bores with main weapon having the longer barrel and the backup gun having the shorter barrel. That's a distance thing with smooth bores and the shorter one being the faster handling.

The old saying "when the shootin' stops the work starts" that is so true with these animals size. While they are bleeding out a fire is usually started for warming you hands when skinning in cold January weather. Of course a few fresh steaks end up being cooked when we take a break. The hardest time we have had was having five animals on the ground and not enough help to take care of the meat (started the process at 9AM and we were past midnight before everything was skinned, cleaned and hung in trees for the night). :shocked2: :( :shake:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back