• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been doing some research to go on a buffalo hunt in South or North Dakota next fall. I want a hunt that is traditional free range hunt. I am having a hard time finding an outfitter/rancher who wants to do this. They all seem to want to sell fenced hunts. Have you been on a hunt? Can you recommend a location where I can hunt with my 54 cal any golden age rifle and shoot a round ball? I would appreciate help or recommendations on where you have been and the success you may have had. Thanks.

Can't help you on the Dakotas, but if that doesn't pan out and you can't resist the urge, check out Master Guide Frank Bishop on Kodiak Island. Scroll down the page for his listing. He not only has access to large herds on a large ranch (24,000 acres), he's a lifetime traditional muzzleloader. In fact his arm of choice on all personal hunts is a 54 caliber flinter, rather than any of the big spread of modern guns in his rack. Best of all, he's a really great guy who likes people, knows the critters and knows the land. Gold standard from start to finish.

Note: No sweat on transporting black powder to your hunt. He has it.

I don't know that you could get in next fall, but the closest thing to a free-range hunt I know of in the Dakota's is in Custer State Park. It's pricey though. $6000 last time I looked a couple of years ago. Drawing to get a tag. A State Park person accompanies you on the hunt to ensure you shoot what you are authorized.

The Lakota Lower Brule' Reservation near Chamberlain has buffalo hunts...not sure how free range they are. Mark Mitten takes one there on video with a longbow and stone head on Primal Dreams II.

Most buffalo "hunts" are a joke. I read one outfitter's procedure that stated they drive you up to a herd (that just stands there). You cannot move away from the truck, for safety they state. You can shoot from the truck or over the hood. Then they take care of your buffalo for you. Wow...exciting. :barf: :td: Might as well just go shoot your Uncle Bob's milk cow in the pasture.

On the other hand, I watched a Roger Raglin muzzleloading video some time ago when he was still shooting a caplock and he was on a free-range hunt in Wyoming just outside of Yellowstone. So, with some searching, I think free-range hunts can be had.

How many acres of fenced in is considered free roam?? Most Buffs are private owned and shooting is HARVESTING. We are not 150+ years ago.

I would love to think we are but as I hunt wild whitetails in acres of a few thousand that most likely never leave a few hundred I do not know.

nhmoose said:
How many acres of fenced in is considered free roam?? Most Buffs are private owned and shooting is HARVESTING. We are not 150+ years ago.

The buffs on Kodiak are on 24,000 acres, and they don't have a whole lot of respect for the fences around that. Kinda puts the thought of a horse into your hunting brain, doesn't it? :rotf:

BrownBear said:
nhmoose said:

The buffs on Kodiak are on 24,000 acres, and they don't have a whole lot of respect for the fences around that. Kinda puts the thought of a horse into your hunting brain, doesn't it? :rotf:
A 4 wheeler would be my liking as they will stay where you leave them unless some thief comes along. :rotf: :thumbsup:

right on ---- the perfect answer for a real oldtime BP flint lock buff hunt. :shake:

nhmoose said:
How many acres of fenced in is considered free roam??

Not relevant to the OP's original question. He wants a true free-range hunt. The technical definition of that is NO FENCES. I tried to answer that for him with some examples I am aware of.

But, if one uses the P&Y clubs fair chase rule definition it's
The term “Fair Chase” shall not include the taking of animals under the following conditions: .....While inside escape-proof fenced enclosures.

If someone else had asked about just killing a buffalo, that's a different answer.

nhmoose said:
A 4 wheeler would be my liking as they will stay where you leave them unless some thief comes along. :rotf: :thumbsup:

Nice to say the rancher HATES 4 wheelers and such. If you show up with one and it disappears, likely the rancher hucked it off a cliff. Perfect! :thumbsup:

If we're talking traditional, we're talking horses. So be it on this ranch.

I know what you are talking about. FIRST it ought to be called a buffalo SHOOT rather than hunt. If you shell out a fair amount of cash and then end up at a farm of 600 acres with some buffalo milling about- not really so great. I think Grand Teton does a buffalo hunt but getting drawn is likely difficult.
I've done some fly fishing in Yellowstone- you're out in a shallow creek and turn around and there is a herd of buffalo coming your way- actual wild animals.
And in the wide open spaces.
Off hand some of the NDN reservations sound like a possible. Do the Crow in southern Montana put on a hunt?

I believe that there are actual wild fair chase buffalo hunts in Custer state park, and perhaps in Alberta for Wood Buffalo. SCI might give you some guidance on that if you ask about what is, and is not eligible for inclusion in their record book, as, they only accept game that was taken under the auspices of "fair chase".

Otherwise, you might have to fire up the flux capacitor and time transport yourself back to the 1870's.

:hmm: A few years ago, I scored a two deer hunt, 1 buck & 1 doe, white tail, on the Standing Rock Reservation, near McIntosh SD. and I believe they offer bison hunts. I saw free range bison while on my hunt. Keep yer powder dry........robin :idunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the Turner ranches are large enough to be considered free range. I believe there is a time and place for a meat harvest vs. a real hunt, as long as the guy or gal pulling the trigger knows the difference.
In my case, the meat, robe and skull are what I would want most, after a perfectly placed shot.

According to the Standing Rock Reservation web posting, there are not any Buffalo hunts at the present time.
http://gameandfish.standingrock.org/buffalo-hunts-available/

To find information about buffalo hunts on Indian Reservations put "Indian Reservation buffalo hunts", into the Google search engine.

Several areas will be listed.

That said, I have no idea whether these hunts are open range type or small corral type.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my first Montana elk hunt we found a "3" wheeler high on a mountain trail some 20 miles from the road. The packer said someone had tried to drive it to the top, couldn't make it and left it and someone had shot a bullet through the engine block. It may still be there.

AZ offers a true free range buffalo hunt in the House Rock Wilderness. It can be brutal and it will likely take you 20 years accumulating points to get the tag. You get one (buffalo) in a life time so if yer drawn and cant find "the herd" you are back to accumulating points.

It is a TRUE wilderness hunt. Extremely rugged terrain and conditions. I have about enough points to draw myself but am not into the wilderness deal enough to chance my points going away with the herd.

They also will also sell you an over the counter tag if yer drawn for deer in the area as its near Grand Canyon Park and they want the dang buffalo to stop dragging the barbed wire fences through the park! I would get one if drawn (trophy deer hunt) but seem to always get the easier BP deer near home.

The other hunt, Raymond Ranch, is not a "pen shoot". Its a hunt on open land (they are "fenced" with a three strand barb wire fence surrounding the area) which is large but don't know how large, gotta look into it? The wardens meet you at the ranch and make you shoot 100 yd target to assure yer able then they will go with you to the herd (they know where it is) and they make sure you choose the correct animal (yearling, cow or bull). The warden is armed and if you miss or wound they will kill it for you. Then they say "hey" and drive off and yer on yer own to get it out of where ever it is.

My Pop was the FIRST ever to kill here with black powder. He had an invest arms (cabela) .58. Shot the bullseye at 100 yds off hand and off we went. He killed a yearling running at about 50 yds. Boom three leaps and it was down. Three HUGE bulls came back to try to nuzzle it to get up and glared a min or two and left. Being as they were big as the truck I decided then I would wait for a bull. The warden was astonished at how the .58 did its job. I still have the slug (hornady great plains) which with 80 gr went through one side and stopped bulging against the skin on the other. 85 gr would have been a pass through.

If I thought I could "find the herd" I would certainly go for the wilderness hunt but I dont have an airplane or a horse (or a an ATV) nor the time to properly scout such a HUGE open area so when my time comes I WILL return with meat! (from Raymond) :grin:

Its not the same as MT or the Dakotas as I don't think the buffalo are native here and they are not on rolling hills but fer you buff hunters AZ DOES have a true open range hunt!

Back