• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
azmntman said:
...as I don't think the buffalo are native here and they are not on rolling hills....

I kinda wonder about the area south of Tucson. I grew up over the line in the boot heel of NM, and periodically we'd have a few wander north across the border from Sonora. They were most certainly wild and free range down there.

Didn't like horses and the horses didn't like them, so it could turn into a foot race- either in opposite directions or with one hard on the heels of your horse. After a few close calls and some "spirited" horsemanship, we always tried to keep them at a distance. :shocked2:

are you going to do it period correct, or just use a muzzleloader. if you do it pc, get it filmed if possible and post it on you tube

Nice to say the rancher HATES 4 wheelers and such. If you show up with one and it disappears, likely the rancher hucked it off a cliff. Perfect!
Well don't know how long it's been since you have been on a ranch my friend but the times they be changing. I spend a lot of time on ranches and around ranchers on my job and don't think I know of one that doesn't have a four wheel ATV. These are true western cattle ranches also not just some dude ranch. They range in size of as little as a single section to hundreds of sections. They all still do cowboying from horses also but four wheel ATV's are also a big part of their operations.

Now I will tell you what they do hate about them is some yahoo trespassing on their land riding one and that one may just stay where they catch you until the law deals with it and you.

As far as buffalo hunting goes if you put a herd on a fenced ranch of even only a few sections they really are pretty much free roaming. Put them on an even bigger ranch and you may wish the fences were just a little closer together :surrender:

jfaldo said:
Nice to say the rancher HATES 4 wheelers and such. If you show up with one and it disappears, likely the rancher hucked it off a cliff. Perfect!
Well don't know how long it's been since you have been on a ranch my friend but the times they be changing. I spend a lot of time on ranches and around ranchers on my job and don't think I know of one that doesn't have a four wheel ATV.

He's been ranching there 50 years and hates them more every year. Won't own them himself. But heck, you're a little bit right. We use them once in a while on our place in the Rockies, as do the neighboring ranches once in a while- mostly to haul posts and wire for fence work and to haul a #1 shovel and some dam block when irrigating in spring and summer. But they're tools. They/we/I won't allow hunters to use them. Period. And we'll trespass anyone who drives onto our places with them.

So that makes about half a dozen in my direct acquaintance if I'm looking in the mirror at the time. Strangers on wheelers is kinda like letting dirtbike riders play on your city lawn.

What I'm seeing here lately it seems is the huge influx of eastern hunters willing to pay large "trespass fees" to ranchers to be allowed access to their land has tamed their hatred some for 4 wheelers. Though I will concede there are also a lot of ranches that have no hunting don't even ask signs posted. So I don't think there's a blanket hatred for 4 wheelers but more of how they can be used and abused.

As a side note I personally think they should be banned for hunting. Except maybe where a handicapped hunter could be given special exemption.

Look into the Belknap Indian Reservation. Issac Walters did a traditional hunt with his 60 cal Trade Gun. He wrote it up with photos on his Blog, which I believe is "French in Wisconsin". It seemed pretty much a real hunt.
Good luck, and let us know what you find out. Sounds like something I'd like to do as well.
Doug T.

:eek:ff

Re: four wheelers....in AZ near seligman on I-40 we have the "Big Boquis Ranch". I believe it is Navajo owned? May be near the size of Rhode Island! Anyhow after years and years of free access for hunting the four wheelers who would not stay on roads and the dirt bag filthy hunters n campers leaving beer cans, toilet paper and garbage everywhere changed that. Now you PAY (not sure the cost but when I heard it I elected to never go back) for an entry permit to cross the fence and they have prosecuted litter bugs n 4 wheelers leaving ruts every where. I dont have a four wheeler but would not mind winning one? No chance at buying as if I got anywhere close to the cost for even used I would get a smoothbore and other goodies :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
My FIL and I both shot bulls on the Pine Ridge Res in 2007, with modern rifles. Definitely was high fence. FIL is a tribe member so got his price instead of the white man price!!
Shoot, not a hunt, but we filled out freezers with a pair of young bulls!!!

Back