• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo hunt..........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wattsy: That price seems pretty reasonable. Can I ask what your 4-year-old's hanging weight was? I would really like to use the .62 underhammer Pacific Zephyr on a harvest, if not the .577 Snider carbine ...

Cool! My cousin raises bison and they do not behave like cattle and even "tame" they are not afraid of humans.

BillinOregon said:
Wattsy: That price seems pretty reasonable. Can I ask what your 4-year-old's hanging weight was? I would really like to use the .62 underhammer Pacific Zephyr on a harvest, if not the .577 Snider carbine ...

500 lbs (give or take 5 lbs).
Your .62 would be AWESOME!!

Here is a picture of my daughter and I on our second buffalo hunt. It dont get no better than that!
Bubba-1.jpg

:thumbsup: Great job, congrats. We're waiting for the fall pix. Thanks for sharin.
Dusty :wink:

You're in for some fine eatin.. Here's the 4 year old cow I took last January. I used a .62 Jaeger rifle and a .62 smoothbore. Shots were from 75 and 80 yards.

ronbuff_croppedx700px.jpg

I've shot 3, but all with black powder cartridge guns. I'm an archaeologist and my hunting partner (who is also an archaeologist)and I skinned and butchered them with stone tools. We work a lot on prehistoric bison kill sites and butchering your own with prehistoric tools has been very informative for us. Not to mention fun as all get out.
P.S. I tanned a bison hide once. Once. That was enough.

Great job, I usually shoot one every nov here in sw montana on one of Ted Turners ranches here in the upper ruby valley. The last couple of years they have been $750 for a 2year old that is about 700 lbs or the same price for a 5-6 year old dry cow that is 1000-1200lbs and you get everything. They will gut it for you and hang it so you can skin it and then load it in your rig. I usually skin mine up there and then it is about 30 miles to my house where we hang them in the cooler for three weeks and then cut it up ourselves. I have to say the dry cows are the best eating that I have found. I did get a 6 year old bull one time but it was in late june and they were killing them for the head mounts before they started fighting and tearing each other up and the meat was good at first but the longer it stayed in the freezer the stronger it got. I guess that is where the old saying comes from " doesn't know the difference between fat cow and poor bull" I sure learned that one the hard way. Again GREAT JOB.

What do they feed those animals? From the condition of the range, it doesn't look like there's much grazing going on there.

bioprof said:
What do they feed those animals? From the condition of the range, it doesn't look like there's much grazing going on there.

They are at about 4500 feet...Pretty cold and snowy there till latter spring; They supliment with hay they cut off the ranch in the summer and fall.

I'm not sure if I would call it a "hunt" myself :( We British are true sportsmen though, so what is acceptable to you is not acceptable to us.

dukewellington said:
I'm not sure if I would call it a "hunt" myself :( We British are true sportsmen though, so what is acceptable to you is not acceptable to us.

1. Thats why you Wernt invited :wink:
2. Might read a little closer and see the word "harvest" VS hunt
3. I suppose in Brittin your meat grows in the back of the store....I prefer to slaughter my own.
4. please do tell where and when you so sportingly hunt Buffalo in Europe? :hmm:

But thanx for the imput...Ill try and remember it when I go harvest my next one this comming December :thumbsup: You can stay focused on keeping your thumb out of your soup. :grin:

Great looking Buffalo congrats ! A Buffalo hunt is my dream trip and I am thinking of using a .58 caliber with a PRB.

Nice shooting and great info :)

There are not many places where you can hunt what one would call a free ranging buffalo. Almost all of the buffalo in the United States are owned privately.

The only places that offer free ranging hunts are in Alaska, Canada, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming and Montana. As a rule you have to enter a lottery drawing for the tag and they are hard to obtain.

So for most of us a buffalo hunt will be conducted on a privately owned ranch of varying acreage. Some places are large enough to hide a city while others are much smaller. I have seen buffalo at different ranches and they don't seem to fear much.

I have seen buffalo in the wild, and they don't seem to be afraid of much of anything, either! :shocked2: :rotf: :hatsoff:

bigbore442001 said:
There are not many places where you can hunt what one would call a free ranging buffalo. Almost all of the buffalo in the United States are owned privately.

The only places that offer free ranging hunts are in Alaska, Canada, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming and Montana. As a rule you have to enter a lottery drawing for the tag and they are hard to obtain.

So for most of us a buffalo hunt will be conducted on a privately owned ranch of varying acreage. Some places are large enough to hide a city while others are much smaller. I have seen buffalo at different ranches and they don't seem to fear much.

Kodiak Cattle Company has about the most authentic buff hunts I've ever heard of. They've got around 500 animals on 24,000 acres. Hunting is on horseback because the country is so rugged, for lone bulls split off from the three or four herds. I've been on the roundups and drives, and we're talking buff that are wilder than march hares and herd cows with the attitude of cape buffalo. Tangle with them and you've got a real fist fight on your hands.

The lone bulls you hunt will show you what wild means if they spot you or wind you on a stalk. They'll put miles between you and them, and you get to start your approach and stalk all over again IF you can find them again. You'll HUNT and you'll earn your stripes on one of those big old lone bulls. I've never hunted one, but have helped haul out three on different occasions. And every one of them was B&C.

Back