• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buffalo powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. Happy Mothers Day to you Moms. I have a problem with a buffalo horn I picked up the other day. Someone made the horn and it is a large horn, looks like it was made pretty good. The problem is that someone painted the horn black. I didn't like the way it looked, so I sanded off the paint. It looks ok under the paint except that it has lots of white streaks down the back side of the horn. Must have been a old horn. I would like to know if I should paint it black again or is there a way I could dye it black that would make it look better than painting it??? Thanks for the help.

I own a couple of buffalo powder horns and the horns are a natural black

Those white streaks give the horn individual Character. Why would you want to cover them up? You have already seen what it looks like when its "Painted all black", so why would you want to paint any part of it???

Sit the horn on some shelf where you can look at it from different angles for a couple of weeks. Enjoy the natural character of the material. Then see if there is some design of Scrim shaw, or other art that you think will make use of those "streaks" of white. I would be inclined to use them as a base for a " Winter " scene, with a Buffalo(s) facing away from a blizzard as they browse, or have them standing off a pack of wolves looking for a weak member of the herd. Just my $.02 worth. :thumbsup:

I've done a bunch of bison horns and have had some of them finished and void of the white streacks and I've also had a couple that had a few of the white streaks. Though if you've scraped thin enough it should be fine, However, the white streaks are inherent in the material and I've had some of them appeared towards the base end and dared not scrape or sand any further without comprimising the strength in that area. Yes, they look great without them, but I'm told that they WILL appear. The best thing you can do is keep a nice wax or polish applied to them from time to time in hopes it keeps them from appearing or more of them. Otherwise they help add more character to the piece.
Gary

Eagleyeusr48, after I sanded off the paint the horn is real dull looking. I heard that I should use steel wool the shine the horn up before using wax on it. Is this the correct way to get it smoother and just what wax should I use on it? Thanks alot. Eldo

4-0 Steel Wool will give you a high polish to the horn. You can use very fine abrasives to get it even smoother- if that is the look you seek. Try 600-1200 abrasives, or rottenstone, or powdered pumice to get a mirror finish. The Abrasives are all available at hardware, and most paint stores.

Wax: Any good furniture, or car, or ski wax will do the job. Just put more wax on the horn after its been out and used for any reason as part of the cleaning process you give your gear when you get back home. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help. I will try to smooth it up and use some wax on it. Eldo

If you begin with 4-0 Steel wool, put some heavy motor oil on the horn, and dip the wool into the oil before you rub the horn. That will reduce the "bite " taken out of the soft horn material, but allow a very smooth finish to be made. Wipe off the oil and see how it looks. It should be a soft SHEEN, not a glossy plastic finish.

I think a lot of new horn makers make the mistake of making their horns too glossy, and the plastic finish just makes the horn look cheap. The original horns were never that glossy- even those that were highly scrimshawed.

One thing you can use to get the gloss back is by using wood ashes (cold), dip your fingers in water then dip your fingers in the ashes and rub the ashes on the horn, keep rubbing until it shines. You'll be amazed. Good luck.

Here's a trick that I have done with a really white streaked buffalo horn. Take two full packages of black RIT dye and dump the contents into about a gallon and a half of hot water, that was just turned off from boiling. Now submerge your POLISHED buffalo horn into the dye water and leave it there till the water cools for at least an hour. Remove and dry! When ready to add a finish. Melt some bee's wax on the horn and use a hair dryer or hot gun to soften wax and hand rub briskly with a soft cotton cloth, like an old Tee shirt!....... Whalla!

Rick :thumbsup:

Back