• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buffalo powder horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That's showin off a lot, not a little, and I'm delighted you did. The stopper really has my attention. Am I right in assuming it's the original horn tip with an "applied" peg?

I'm sitting on a pair of horns right now, waiting for inspiration. You just might have provided it. Thanks, I think! :grin:

BrownBear said:
I'm sitting on a pair of horns right now, waiting for inspiration.
Here's one more in the homemade, whittled out with a pocket knife style.

buff_hornA.jpg

Spence

Yessir, BB, that's the original tip, drilled with a peg stopper. It was easier to do than I thought it would be. The only drawback to it so far is that when the horn is full, the stopper gets jammed up with powder inside the horn due to the taper of the inside. So if I'm shooting from a full horn, I make sure I tip it and tap it so the powder runs away from the peg.
THe ivory is mammoth ivory I got from my dad.
I also have one with a peg made from ivory for my .32, the peg is
Aw, hell, I'll take a pic!
PA181477.jpg

a fiddle peg! Couldn't think of it. The other end has a screw-in plug to fill the horn made from ebony, with ivory.

Mike, as purty as that stopper is, I reccomend finding another use for it.
Hard materials like ivory, bone, antler, etc. do not compress. Shoving a hard stopper into a horn is inviting the horn to split since neither has any 'give'. I reccomend using only wood, preferably a soft wood for horn stoppers. That is why I make mine from twigs and just whittle to fit. Also, since I use my teeth to remove and hold the soft wood is easier to grip and pull.
Even if your horn doesn't split, and I hope it doesn't, you are setting yerself up for spills when the stopper won't stay put.

I appreciate the advice. The taper is such that it doesn't take too much to pull it out. But your advice is well taken, and I will consider changing it.

Latest posts

Back