• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo with .50 GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fw said:
A 62 Hawken and pictures of us running? :rotf: blaine.

Dont laugh or take thim critters fer granted neether! :cursing: I once was chased by a huge bull when I got too close to the herd in open range in South Dakota while vacationing up there ... back when I could run a little! :hmm:

Luckily he did not chase me far! :shocked2: he was a big brute too! I was a foolish young lad and wanted to get close to the herd to check them out! Live and hopefully (live ) and learn! :thumbsup:

Davy

I would think the old time mountain man killed many Buffalo with a .50 cal. I don't think he was as worried as we are about instant death for the Buffalo. He was hunting for food and wether it died instantly or thirty min. later he could care less. He was about to eat.
Old Charlie

Davy , the last run in dad had with a buffalo was when he had a heart attack some years back and rolled the car he was driving thru a steel pipe fence , he woke up "with the car on its side" and a big bull buffalo looking in the side window wondering "what the heck is this guy doing here" I think dad told the police or guy in the ambulance.."first and last time ive hunted buffalo with a car , and missed too!" before passing back out. yes it is a true story , if hed hit that thing it would of cost Allstate 6000 plus not counting the car , and dad took my grandmom and his oldst son back in 1976 or so to Custer State Park ect when she (his mom just had to see "tower" in Close Incounters of the ..ect she tryed to get 11 year old big brother to get out of car and stand next to the buffalo that had to just about get on his knees to look in the windows of this Lincon Mark 3 so she could get a picture , about 2 to 300 of them were standing around all looking at the car , think it was the only time dad ever told his mom " shut up now"! it was funny back then , but that thing has eyes the size of bolwing balls. Im not sure if its a Lewis and Clark story or something else we read in school last year about hunting for fresh meat 3 guys shot 54s into it and it took off running with 2 more hits by 2 other guys (more 54s?) and took a guy a 1/4 mile away to drop it (was most likely worn out from all the running with some big smooth bore shotgun with a big ball real close when it ran by. Makes me think twice about wanting to do this , its free except for getting to the place and dad has had his buffalo hunt so... blaine.

I'ts a "once in a lifetime draw here" on free roaming buffalo. One of my neighbors wife drew a tag a couple of yrs. back and she killed it with one shot from a 22/250, not sure where she hit it. I'd say use the biggest thing you can shoot accurately.

IMO, the last thing a good modern hunter wants is to cause a slow death to the critter he shot however, this was not always the case.

One key method used with Buffalo was for the hidden hunter to find the lead cow of the herd and shoot her thru the lungs but not the heart or spine. He didn't want her to die or fall down.

She would just stand there coughing blood while the other Buffalos would crowd around her so the hunter could shoot them pretty much at his own pace.

This is what was happening when the gun was fired so many times that a person couldn't touch the barrel without burning himself.

Using this tactic, a .50 cal roundball would do quite nicely although during the Buffalo hunts that nearly wiped them out the muzzleloader was seldom used.
Too much movement and commotion with reloading them might frighten the herd off.
Using a cartridge gun required very little movement by the hunter so he could just keep on shooting.

Just my thoughts.

My wife and I went to Yellow Stone last year, buffalo every where. Signs posted saying to stay away from the wild animals. Seems a few years back some guy wanted to get a picture of his son on the back of a buffalo. He got gorred.

I have read in more than one publication that Robert Redford, despite his amazing feats with firearms in Jeramiah Johnson and some action - cowboy type movies (Sundance Kid) is very much anti-gun (not certain if all 2nd Amendment) so I definitely cast a critical eye on his 'crackshot' status. :cursing:

are you familiure with a show called "Black powder guns and hunting" with O'neil williams-? in one show he dropped a Buff with a .54 Hawken out of the box with 90grns of FFG. and it lazered at 109yrds. Dave 🙇

Do you know if he used ball or a bullet?

Back