• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build A Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoar

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have researched making my own Blunderbuss gun as well as researching what is available out there for reasonable dollars ($500 range or less), and I can't seem to find quality parts or a kit for a Blunderbuss. The Blunderbuss guns already made like the two from Loyalists seem okay but I'd prefer building my own with quality but not outrageously costly parts, like many of the builds from Track Of The Wolf. I want at least a 77 cal, 10 gauge Blunderbuss. I'm not interested in the "little" 62 cal or 20 gauge "Blunderbuss" offered by some of the other companies.... I wish TrackOfTheWolf had a 10 gauge of bigger Blunderbuss. I'd buy it.

Any ideas would be welcome!

I saw a couple of steel Blunderbuss barrels at Dixon's Muzzle loading shop, I dont remember what cal they are but I think they were priced right at $130 if memory serves me.

I think Ed Rayl makes blunder buss barrels.

W. E.Rayl
Box 91
Gassaway WV 26624
304-364-8269

I too am at the stage of looking around at them. I looked at a TVM one this morn but the kit was only 12ga. I would prefer slightly bigger.

Zoar,
Ed Rayl made me a 1" bore, 16" overall for about $150. It took almost a year, but the quality is excellent. He makes a standard barrel, or you give him what you want, and he does it. Mine will be a doglock pictured in battle Weapons of the American Revolution. Just started inletting the lockplate today!

Thanks guys. Thisn helps. I wish the sitting Fox one was 10 gauge or bigger, at 11 gauge 75 cal it is a little bit small for what I really would liek, but if it is the only one then I might have to bite.

I wonder if I can get a 10 or 8 gauge barrel made and have it fit into the lock, stock and trigger of the sitting fox kit?????

More picts or info would be terrific!

I am considering machining my own spec barrel. I enjoy working on the lathe. A trip to Minneapolis this summer will get me access to some material I looked into a while back.

darn it all... Hahaha! I am in trouble now: I went to the stonewall website and see that have a standard 4 bore blunderbuss barrel. It is 20 inches long though. I've emailed them and asked if they can make that in 16 inches and if they have a stock and lock for that 4 gauge. Can you imagine the fun you could have with a 4 gauge Blunderbuss???? If they can set me up with a 16 inch barrel and a stock and lock for that 4 gauge at a reasonable price I am going for it.

I do like the $450 price for the KIT from the other link (sittingfox website) provided above. The barrel length is a nice short 16 inches, the ONLY draw back is it is only a 75 caliber...

This is going to be a very fun project, I can see that.

I just built a very cool totally functional Gypsy Wagon (I don't have the ability to upload pictures but I do have picts) and it needs a Blunderbuss... a 4 bore, even if I just loaded it with a handfull of 0 or 00 buck would be an absolute hoot to shoot. But, indeed, any short Blunderbuss would be big fun!

Wall gunner--- Can you post pictures of that 1" Blunderbuss barrel?! What is the actual caliber or bore dia? And where did you get the stock for your Blunderbuss??? Any photos would be terrfic.

Zoar,
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I'm one of the few people left in the world that cannot send pictures over the internet. I have no camera or scanner or anything. Sorry. It measure a full 1" in the bore, is about 11/2" in the breech, octagonal for about 3.5",to wedding bands, and 1.75" at the muzzle. Stout and handy. The stock is just a piece of maple and I'm just removing everything thats not a gunstock! :) The lock is a doglock from TRS as is the triggerguard(although I think I might make a more primitive bent brass style off of colonel's muskets of the period). Buttplate is just bent brass nailed with seven nails. When I finish, I'll find someone who can get it on the internet for me, I would love everybody's opinions. Thanks,

wallgunner said:
Zoar,
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I'm one of the few people left in the world that cannot send pictures over the internet. I have no camera or scanner or anything. Sorry. It measure a full 1" in the bore, is about 11/2" in the breech, octagonal for about 3.5",to wedding bands, and 1.75" at the muzzle. Stout and handy. The stock is just a piece of maple and I'm just removing everything thats not a gunstock! :) The lock is a doglock from TRS as is the triggerguard(although I think I might make a more primitive bent brass style off of colonel's muskets of the period). Buttplate is just bent brass nailed with seven nails. When I finish, I'll find someone who can get it on the internet for me, I would love everybody's opinions. Thanks,

Please keep us posted!

Here is one built a few years back with the Davis 20" 4 bore barrel.

Bruce Everhart

100_0406.jpg

Oh, man. That is one beautiful blunderbuss. a 4 Bore!!! wow. Did you get the barrel through Stone Creek website? And if not, can you post the contact info for the barrel maker??? Please?

I have decided I will build a Blunderbuss this year and I really want a big bore, at least 10 gauge (10 bore) although 4 bore is really tugging on my leg... The one concern i have is how heavy the 4 bore would be. Any chance you could post the weight as well?

The research I have done so far has lead me to some barrels I like but the companies do not have stocks to go with the barrels, and I am pretty set on the large Siler lock, and I want a big, rounded, formed, brass butt plate.

These Blunderbuss photos and posts are excellent. Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

Oh boy do I like that. How does it shoot? I would like to see some pics. of patterns with buck shot. Spose with a 4 bore you could use 36 caliber ball. odis

I built it for a customer, he ordered all the parts. I know the barrel and stock came from Davis not sure about the rest.

This thing has been gone for a few years and I have no other pictures of it. I never weighed it.

A 4 bore is just a tad over 1" and being a 4 bore the round ball weighs 1/4 lbs. The best buck load we came up with was 8 .50 cal balls, they stack in the bore real nice and don't hurt too bad to shoot. this load will kill a 55 G drum at 20 yards every time.

My question is, why do you want a Siler on a blundergun when you can have a English lock for the same price?

If you look at the picture you can see the English lock has to set low on that big barrel so it will clear the main spring (and I even reshaped the spring to help it fit). The Siler will be even lower. Just one of those details that you never think about until it's too late.

Bruce Everhart

Good point about guarding against the lock sitting too low...

Eight 50 caliber round balls would certainly do a whale of job on just about anything at 20 yards. That is one significant advantage with the 4 bore: you certainly have the space to load it with alot!

I will try to find the Davis website. Google.

That four bore is truly awesome and inspiring! Thank you for posting the picture and for the info.

Can't find anything useful Googling for "Davis barrel". Is that the maker of the barrel? Do they exist currently?

Back