• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build A Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easiest way, if it's feasible, might be to buy the 20 incher and have someone shorten it from the rear and rebreech it. That's not a major operation as long as there's no taper to deal with that far back. Just tossing out a suggestion off the top of my head.

dang, that could be the solution. i will check with stonewall to determine if the barrel is not flared back near the breech (4 inches or so back)

Yeah, I have pondered on this Blunderbuss project quite a bit and I guess that big, phat 4 bore was just so outlandishly cool it made any smaller bore pale in comparison... so a 4 bore at 16 inches length would be the IDEAL blunderbuss in my estimation...

Even if it is tapered, a good machinist should be able to match the breechplug to the taper.

I agree on the 4 gauge. If I had a few extra bucks to toss into a blunderbuss, I'd want a 4 gauge too. If you're going to get something like a 10 or 12 gauge, you might as well just get a shotgun! :haha:

Imagine the havoc it would cause with a handful of smaller buckshot too. Dangit, now I'm getting interested in one.

"Imagine the havoc it would cause with a handful of smaller buckshot too."
-------
No doubt about it. That could be totally devastating to anything that got in the way.

These blunderbuss's shoot a pattern that is the same as a cylinder bored shotgun.

Over the years folks assumed the flaring shape of the muzzle would flare the pattern too but a lot of testing on both original and new guns has proven that the flare has no effect other than making the gun easier to load.

Having one of these pointed at you in anger would sure put the fear into you though.

Okay, okay, okay, guys.... Four Bore it is... Darn it... I guess I needed a little gentle persuasion from the guys here to help me see the light... I already have many .730 or so diameter shotguns so a Blunderbuss in about the same bore diameter would not be unique or ridiculously cool. So, now I have to determine if I choose 4 bore brass at ($425 PLUS shippin) $450 bucks or so verses ($215 PLUSD shipping) $240 for the steel... The brass certainly has advantages... But I really did not want to spend $900 bucks or so on this whole project. The brass barrel would most likely bring the total at that figure... I know when you start with a $450 barrel then begin to add locke, trigger, stock and the other parts and machining time to make a really terrific looking 4 bore Blunderbuss, the numbers will climb. The question I suppose is: Will the $210 difference in the cost of the barrel between steel and brass worth it?...

Worth it only if you want a brass barrel. I have pictures of many fine originals with steel barrels. It's good you have decided to go with a good foundation for your gun and get a quality made barrel. If I went with the brass barrel, I would would also use a Chambers round face with the brass plate jsut for the effect.

Capt Jas--- Thanks for the positive vote for steel. It would save quite a bit. But then one could argue I realy should brown or blue it, wouldn't I? In which case there goes the savings.

But I really enjoy this big bore Blunderbuss thread. It makes the boring stuff easier to palate.

Zoar, I dont think you would lose 200.00 by browning or blueing. Actually I would cold blue and back off with steel wool and then use some bleach on it or some over worked LMF Browning backed off. I think Chambers' fowler solid sideplate is just the ticket for a buss. :thumbsup:

Sorry if I hijack. But, a pal of mine back east offered to forge steel furniture for my Buss project..........I need a reference for him! Any ideas? F&I War era-Rev.?

Zoar, glad you settled on a plan!

Yes very exciting to have the barrel down. Stonewall offered a stock for $250, but THAT seemed really steep to me. I am hopeful I can find a stock for MUCH less.

(Sorry don't have a reference for your furniture guy)

Thanks for the Chambers recommendation!

Someone somewhere said a Brown Bess stock would work. I wonder if others support that claim for this 4 bore 20 incher. Also, I contacted Troy today a stonewallcreek and told him to order me one of those 4 bore steel blunderbuss barrels... YeeHooo!

Zoar, that was me that brought up the used Bess stock idea. It wont work with the 4 bore, not enough wood.

The one I know of was an Italian Bess that had the barrel rusted so bad it was unsafe to shoot. It was bought for cheep and the barrel discarded.

The fellow that built the gun had a 12 bore x 20” steel blunder barrel. The new barrel was inlet and as I recall he had to change contour of the flats so it wouldn’t push the lock out. The rear pipe was moved back and a repair was made to hide the old inlet. The front pipe was inlet and the ramrod was cut down. Stock was refinished and the conversion was done.

The hole thing took a little more than a week and half of that was waiting for stock finish to dry. He called it a boarding gun, I called it a deck sweeper.

Bruce Everhart

With the 4 bore Blunderbuss barrel the dimensions are:

Muzzle dia. is 1.975 in.
Breech is 1.50 in.

Length is 20 inches.

I wonder if some of those half stocks at trackofthewold will work? I saw some for $149. But on ther website they do not show what barrel dimensions would work. I have the catalog at home but not sure enough info is there either.

I dont know of a ready made pre-carve for a Rayl blunderbuss barrel. You will probably need to get a blank and I would suggest getting the barrel and ramrod channel inlet by someone. Fred Miller or maybe Jack's Mountain Stock Shop can do that for you.

Ray Frank (Sitting Fox) has offered me a reasonable price on a stock for the big FOUR BORE. I have asked for costs to have him inlet it to my barrel if I have the Rayle Barrel dropped shipped to his place. I am attempting to cut shipping costs and other misc. costs that can really add up and put this project over budget.

Four Bore Blunderbuss is such an outrageous project.... why didn't I start it sooner?

Did you check with Mike Lea, the gun doctor. He sells a nice kit in 4 bore with a steel Ed Rayl barrell and Chambers Virginia lock. I built one but it comes in walnut. :hmm:

I did not know about Mike Lea's kit. That would be my first choice so far for a correct 'buss.

RiverRat---Holy Moly. There is a four bore blunderbuss kit out there with a Rayle Barrel!!! Can you give us a link or phone number?!?

"Mike Lea The Gun Doctor" and any deviation of those words --- does not yield any meaningful hits when I Google search.

Wow. What a find!! :thumbsup:

Back