• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Builders/smiths in Houston

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthornto

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently decided to tackle a rifle kit from Track of the Wolf, and am starting to think I have gotten in over my head. I'm having a lot of trouble getting the barrel and lock to fit properly, and don't really want to go any further until someone who knows what he's doing takes a look. Meanwhile, the frizzen screw broke off in my Pedersoli Kentucky rendering it useless as well. I could really use a little assistance from someone here in Houston. As an extra added incentive, I happen to live across the street from a very cool little bar.

Take the screw to the hardware store, to compare it to the existing screws for diameter. It should be either a #8, or # 10 screw. Next, ask them for help in determining the thread count. It may be metric, but Most of what is coming over here from Italy is using American Threads. This will help you learn what a thread gauge is, so you can buy your own.

Now, go home, and go to the Links section on the Index page, under Member Resources, and find the list of suppliers. Dixie Gun works, Track of the wolf, Cains, and many more suppliers can supply you a replacement screw to get that import back in business. All they need to know is which lock bolt you want, and the maker of the gun.

IMHO, the only way you break screws, is by trying to HORSE a screw in or out. Spend less time at that "neat little bar", or don't work on your gun when you come back from it. Guns and booze really are not a good mix. I would never discourage anyone from drinking, but I have so many stories about guns being broken when someone comes home after the bars close and decides he has to get his gear together for a Saturday Morning shoot!-- well, leave it at " guns and booze don't mix!"

We have a few members here from the Houston area. Perhaps some of them will come on this tread and contact you with offers of help.

You have a fine Texas Muzzleloading Rifle Association, which you should contact and join. Several of its members are active here, but live in other parts of the state. Davey, and Roy, and John Hinnant, and Rabbit03 come to mind. All would be great resources to help you with that build, but you would have to expect to drive over to their shops.

Don't hesitate to call or contact local gunshops, to locate other gunmakers. This is a small community, and generally the word gets around as to who the local builders are. And, many general gunsmiths can also help you with some of the problems you will find as you work on the gun.

Don't forget to click on the Gunbuilding Tutorial on this thread. Its located at the top of the page for " The Gun Buider's Bench." Done by Mike Brooks, a terrfic gun builder and member here, the photos do a fine job of taking you through all the processes of aligning and fitting parts to the stock.

There are also tremendous Gun building videos available from AmercanPioneerVideo.com, showing Frank and Hershel House building guns from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I left your part of the world 4 years ago, not a lot of M/L gunsmiths there.

Call Andy Larson, 281-486-7166. He is the outgoing President of the TMLRA and is a NMLRA Board Member. He can can help point you in the right direction and is a nice person.

RDE

Thanks for the reply, but I guess I didn't explain myself very well; I was in a hurry to get a message off before I left for work. The problem with the Pedersoli is not that I dont have the screw, but rather that it broke off with the threaded part still in. How it happened is a complete mystery as I have never fiddled with it. When I went to clean after my last shoot, I noticed it was gone, so I figured it simply backed out. I ordered a new one and realized what happened when I went to put it in.
The kit, however, is another story. I have never attempted anything like this before, and I'm just a little worried I'm going to do something that can't be fixed. I have read a number of posts on the subject, but I was just hoping to find someone in the area with experience that I could talk to from time to time. There is nothing like a face to face conversation. Oh, and don't worry about the bar comment, that was I was simply trying to show my appreciation for any help after the work is done.

Thanks that sounds like just what I was looking for. Any other input would be most welcome.

Richard,
I spoke with Mr. Larson earlier this evening, and he was very helpful. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate you putting me in touch with him.

Chuck

Back