• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Builders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelsaurusR

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What professional gun builders have you had build a matchlock, wheellock, or other old gonne for you? Ron Curley in England is working on a matchlock musket for me.

Squirrelsarus Rex:

What professional gun builders have you had build a matchlock, wheellock, or other old gonne for you? Ron Curley in England is working on a matchlock musket for me.

Of my gals built and being built:

John Buck: 1 Matchlock Musket, 1 Serpentine Lock Arquebus

Leonard Day: 1 Snaphaunce Musket, 1 Wheellock Arquebus,
rebuilt lock on Dutch Wheellock Colonial Gun(botched by Loyalist Arms :curse:)

Eric Kettenburg: 1 Matchlock Musket, 1 Serpentine Lock Handgonne

Jurgen Kreckle: 1 Matchlock Musket

Fred "Graywolf" Miller: 6 Handgonnes

Historic Enterprises: 1 Matchlock Arquebus

Woowhee, that is a sizeable number! :shocking: ::

Thanks Arilar, I'd lost Magnus' site since it'd been taken over by another group. It's nice to be able to access it again. He's a great guy to talk to. He does some really interesting work and all from scratch...pretty impressive. Thanks again.

No website but I garantee if get a gun from him you will love it..his address is Steve Krolick 1326 S. 107th St. West Allis , wis. 53214 he is not a full time builder but does quality work... Chuck

Never had one built but I've seen the work of Dale Shinn of Sacramento, CA. He makes his own locks for his wheellocks. Geez.

I really like that look. Now if I could only find the funds and a builder to make me one.

Just :m2c:

Claypipe:

I really like that look. Now if I could only find the funds and a builder to make me one.

I had seen and handled such a gun at Dixon's last month. It was built by Leonard Day and being sold for $825.

I can tell you that it was a very well made and superbly balanced arm. :imo:

:m2c:

I have an English lock on a fan-tail stock built by Leonard Day. I think his work is excellent and worth the price. He really knows the early guns.

hey claypipe,
maybe someone had the idea before me (and I just haven't found it yet) but could we start a directory of pre-flintlock makers here, with contact details and some examples of work? Time and again makers who don't have their own websites get mentioned (because they are busy making guns!!!) and I think we would be providing them and us with a service :)

I don't know how many pre-flint guns he's done, but I've seen photographs of a wheellock pistol that D. Taylor Sapergia built that was incredible. He is a regular over on ALR, and is definitely a top-notch builder. Amazing craftsmanship.

I have a Dale Shinn wheellock "puffer", a matchlock caliver, a matchlock bastard musket, and a early flint carbine, another puffer and a wheellock carbine on order... Dale mades wonderful stuff!

Here are some things of mine that he made. The bastard musket, one of the puffers, the dagger, and two flasks (one a combination spanner/primer)are mine. The lower puffer belongs to a friend:

cavalry03_s.jpg

Cheers,

Gordon

Keep it coming, be sure to check out the new permanent post for builder contacts I just put up.

Back