• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Hawk/Knife Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royalranger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Do any of you have plans or instructions (or know where to find them) on how to build a target for hawk/knife throwing? An illustration with a list of materials would be great. Thank you. Ron.

R.R.i made my target from old 2x4 pieces about 18"long you will need 10 to 12 depending on how wide you want it to be. just nail or screw them together at the tops do some on each side works good for a little to nothing in cost.you can check the dumpsters on jobsites for the scraps most will let you have what you want out of them.hope this helps you.see ya later moon

I heat with firewood. So I just saved a cut section of a twisty elm tree to use. Some elm works well, some doesn't. I have heard that willow works very well.

I then took two home-sawn oak 2x4's, drilled a pair of holes through them, and SPIKED them to the back of the block. A third longer 2x4 pinned through the top of the other two became the back leg to prop it up. A couple short lengths of light chain between the legs keeps things from spreading out too much.

Works for me.

Mikey

For a short time, I worked with a guy who used to throw in axe competitions--the big double bitted axes. Anyway, he liked to use a cross section of cottonwood.

Here's a link with great photo's of several "styles".

http://www.knifethrowing.info/target.html

I have built several of the type using sawed log pieces,,Ash tree's and/or cotton wood works well even green cut.Willow IS the best for durability and longevity. 30" diameter or better and 10-12" thick is nice and will last for years. If 10" thick, after 2-3 years heavy use, you can chainsaw or face the block to get a new surface.

Hard wood like Oak, Elm, and Maple is NOT desirable!! Sure you can throw hard enough to get a stick, but play dickens to pull the hawk out of the block and CAN break tips off of knifes and the hawk corners.

Soft wood like Pine, Basswood or Poplar work if green cut or freashly dry seasoned but only last a short time.

Of the photo's on the link I perfer/made the tri-pod style heavy stand with thick heavy blocks (like Stefan Roeder's) for annual rendezvous.

We make a tripod/ easel out of 5 or 6 inch diameter Poplar saplings lashed together at the top, a cross piece to hold the target and use a chain saw to cut cross slices off a 30 inch diameter or larger log. Each slice is about 9 inches thick. put a notch or peg in the target edge to fit on the cross piece. Gravity will hold it in place. Works great.

Here is a pic of my current one.

MVC-001S-2.jpg

MVC-003S.jpg

Materials used; 3 treated 8' 4x4's for tripod.

1 treated cut to lenght 4x4 for target base.

1 big long SS bolt, with 2 SS washers, and 1 SS locking nut. Used to connect all three 4x4's.

2 SS long bolts, 2 SS washers, 2 SS lock nuts to anchor (cut to length) target base to front two legs.

2 SS large eye screws, I used the bolt kind. One screwed in the back of the cut to lenght 4x4 and one to the 3rd leg. This allows you to kick out the back leg to a desired distance.

Length of rope to anchor to targe base eye bolt and tie to SS eye screw/bolt in 3rd leg.

Notice how I angle cut the 3rd (back) leg end to fit between the two front legs.

Oh yeh, don't forget the round.

Good Luck,

Frank

Our club makes them from cross sections of soft wood logs such as pine, poplar, etc. About 8 to 10 inches thick is about right. You can often find these at places where the city or a tree trimmer is removing a tree. We make a stand for it of 2 X 4 lumber that resembles an artist's easel. Two legs in the front and one in back. Then add some pieces to support the log section and you are good for a lot of throwing. Don't try using hard wood since the knife or hawk is not likely to stick in it very easily.

A suggestion I got was to get scrap 2x4 pieces.
Only need to be maybe 6" long at most.
(that is the "thickness of target")
Stack them so end edge is facing you.
Stick them together with nails or just hot glue.
Build whatever size target you want.
Round or square.
Throwing at end grain may be better???

PS Has anyone tried stacking newspapers and shooting them edge-on with arrows?
Arrow targets seem sooo expensive.

I went the "low tech" route.

Took an old heavily weathered 2 x 10 that I found. Busted it in half. Found some scrap 1x material and a couple of screws to strap the 2 x 10s together and leaned it against a tree.

Cost - ZERO $

Wow, I am certainly impressed by all the reponses. Thank you all so much. You've given me enough to work with so I can come up with some good targets. Thanks again. Ron. :bow:

All these members pretty much have covered some of the best ways to do it, but here is what our club made and they (two) have lasted for a very long time.

First off. as mentioned, always use a soft wood section. Most "Hawk throwers around here like Cottonwood. Don't know how common it is nationwide, but Cottonwood is very common here in Nebraska. It's our state tree! You can make a great tripod to mount the log section on out of landscape timbers. My 2 cents!
Rick

PS....If you live in North Dakota. You will have to make your Tripod from their state tree...A Telephone Pole! :wink:

If you Google it, you should find lots. I think I searched for "How to throw a hawk" or something like that, and came up with how to's and set-ups, lot's of good info.

Royal Ranger said:
Wow, I am certainly impressed by all the reponses.

Your much welcome, I'm not surprised though,those of us that run the Rendezvous circut and compete, KNOW, what it's like when you have a crappy block!

Blades and hawks will bounce off,,or punky ones will start comming apart,,

It's a big deal at most vous', last comp I ran, I gave away about $160 worth of prizes! :thumbsup:

I you need a cotton wood round and are near Flint Mi I have a few extra stacked out back.

I always was able to find a slab of fir or Ceadar 2' or better across by a fot deep at an old log landing when I used to throw and set it up on a set of X's I like the target about chest high.I have seen some dingy little ones set so low the handle hits the ground about the time the blade hits the wood.

here's mine.

just stack 8' logs in a pyramid and have at it. when they get too soft, trim them with a chainsaw.

Dirkswork026.jpg

Back