• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Manton V-Pan Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hirocker

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have always loved the looks of the famous Manton V-Pan lock but have never been able to find one. I recently built one from castings provided by The Rifle Shoppe, and I put together a web page detailing all of the assembly steps and showing some useful tricks for lock building in general. There should be stuff here to interest everyone.
lock_front_open_sm.jpg
Building a Manton V-Pan Lock

Great article HighRocker. The best part of course is the rest of your experiments web page. Electric fired black powder guns, parlor pistols, breech loading flintlock! Is a breech loading flintlock PC? Can't wait til your next article. You are doing what a lot of us just dream about. When I grow up I want a lathe and milling machine too :)

This is off topic but have you ever gotten the urge to recreate the Liberator pistol? GC

Highrocker Just courious , but on your web page you have a ballistics calculator and there is no calculation for the amount of powder you use for a load in your formula. so how can it be accurate?

Woody

The calculator needs to be told what the muzzle velocity is, so the powder charge used to get that velocity is not a factor. I have been gathering data so I can write a calculator which will give muzzle velocity for a given powder charge, but this a much more complicated and difficult calculation because of all the non-linear variables involved.

A very interesting piece on assembly of this lock kit. I have assembled many locks but I have never heard of holding parts together with the wax/shellac sticks. Seems like a great idea. I have always been interested in the English and French locks (as well as the firearms) because of their watch like precision and may have to get one of these kits to put together just for the heck of it. Thanks for sharing!
h dog

Latest posts

Back