• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building Dilema

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperonis

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been trying to get started in muzzleloading for years now but have a major stumbling block in my way. I decided to buy a kit, build it, and use it. That never happened.
I like to finish what I started so I won't let myself buy another gun while I work on this one. I'm afraid I'll never have the time to get this done (turned out to be a little more than I had expected- TVA Jaeger kit).
I'm wondering if I should just sell it and pick up a finished gun to get myself going already. I don't want to feel like a quitter and really wanted to use what I built. It took me two years to build a kayak, but I did it and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Any suggestions from those who may have had the same experience? Thanks.

If I was you... I'd see if I could buy one while working on the kit... then sell it after you get yours made :thumbsup:

This is an example that I try to tell others that are wanting to get into the building aspect of this sport/hobby/lifestyle, it takes an enormous amount of dedication to follow through with a build, more than most think. The question that you are asking cannot really be answered by another, they either finished or not.

I spend time each morning and evening working around my dayjob to persue this, it is a kind of therapy for me. I take time off as needed and proceed as I feel.

If I were you, I would buy a rifle and get involved in this sport, then work on the TVM rifle some and see if it "talks" to you, if it does proceed, if not sell it off and buy more shooting supplies.

Good Luck in your choice.

Keep the TVA kit, put it aside and buy a Lyman GPR kit. The GPR should go a lot faster and is less "involved" than the TVA, but you can do some modifications if you wish to make it "your own". By the time you get done with that GPR, you'll have a good shooter and then you'll be all jacked up about finishing the Jaeger - you'll find the time. Plus you won't be able to buy another TVA kit for what you have into the one you already have . . . they ain't gittin any cheaper.

I agree. You should save up a few hundred bucks and go out and buy yourself a factory made gun. Used, if you can find one in good condition.

Then take your new (used) gun out and do some shooting with it. That will do one of two things.
Either you will decide that muzzleloading isn't worth the trouble or you will love it.
If you love it, that in itself will give you the motivation you need to finish up your TVA gun.
In fact, I suspect it will motivate you to the point that you 'can't wait until it's finished'.

If I'm wrong, you will know that finishing your TVA would be a waste of time. Then you can sell the factory gun and your TVA kit.

By the way, selling a kit that has been started is not an easy thing to do without taking a fairly large loss on it.
The reason for this is the buyer really doesn't know how well the little work that has been done was done. It's very difficult to 'fix' the errors that others have already made so folks aren't willing to spend large sums of money for 'started' kits.

Thanks for the input. You bring up some good points all around. I will definitely consider a starter gun to get me going and see where it takes me.

Times a wasting...........

Call Tip Curtis & buy one from him "In the white". Put some finish on it & go shoot it.

Now build the kit.

:thumbsup:

Good advice all around. If it was me in your shoes I'd be leery of any feeling that you need to rush into finishing that kit. I make my biggest mistakes when I'm rushing, and that's the last thing you want to do on a first build. Get a prebuild or in-the-white as Birddog suggests and get to shooting. I suspect the enthusiasm and lessons learned from shooting will drag the kit higher up your priority scale, and you'll get around to finishing it in short order. In contrast, if you mistake your way into a disappointing corner with a rush build, you might walk away from it altogether. Hate to see that!!!

Otter said:
Keep the TVA kit, put it aside and buy a Lyman GPR kit. The GPR should go a lot faster and is less "involved" than the TVA, but you can do some modifications if you wish to make it "your own". By the time you get done with that GPR, you'll have a good shooter and then you'll be all jacked up about finishing the Jaeger - you'll find the time. Plus you won't be able to buy another TVA kit for what you have into the one you already have . . . they ain't gittin any cheaper.

this is good advice! when i started i baught 2 guns at the same time i now me and projects. i got a flintlock GPR (which i really love to shoot) and a lncaster from tip curtis. if i hadnt built the GPR first, the lancaster would have been way to overwhelming. now it doesnt seem like such a big deal! besides the you have 2 guns to play with

karwelis

Birddog6 said:
Times a wasting...........

Call Tip Curtis & buy one from him "In the white". Put some finish on it & go shoot it.

Now build the kit.

:thumbsup:

Exactly, Tip has some very nice stuff at a reasonable price.

Back