• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bummed out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperNY

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I haven't been hunting in 10 years so I just went and got my NYS big game license to hunt in Fillmore Glen State Park. I have hunted this park for many years and took some nice deer from there. The great thing was it was muzzle loader only there. I have just found out it is now open to shot gun also. I guess I need to find another place to hunt now. I do live in walking distance of a lot of state land so I have some scouting work to do now.

Jim

I hunt a lot of second rate places just to stay away from crowds. I usually concede the first week of firearms season also, to let the wingnuts get it out of their system, then I hunt right to the end. Love it. Good luck, hopefully for you when one window closes, another one opens.

Good thing about the Citydiots all in one place,they can only hurt eachother!!!!and they push the deer into the less traveled areas,,
Now as for passing up a day of hunting,,never,, you go out about 0900 and get set up,it's light and warmer,wont be long and the bushbeaters are cold and bored and have to walk around,pee,smoke and head back to camp,nap and eat time.they move the deer,now just wait,cause their coming back out around 3 o'clock,again moving the deer,then about 5 you head out,before dark.
No dark stumbling,warmer and bushbeaters twice a day.
Might want to go to Google Earth and look the area over,,,lots of development in that area,narrow belt of woods and a brook!!!!

Sperit de bois said:
...and they push the deer into the less traveled areas....

And dat's da trute. :grin:

I've had some of my best hunts while concentrating on the "marginal" areas away from the idiots. Doesn't take much cover at all, just so long as the other hunters are leaving it alone.

BrownBear said:
Sperit de bois said:
...and they push the deer into the less traveled areas....

And dat's da trute. :grin:

I've had some of my best hunts while concentrating on the "marginal" areas away from the idiots. Doesn't take much cover at all, just so long as the other hunters are leaving it alone.
Out here, if you just get away from the roads, you won't see anybody. The more rugged it is, the more game you will see.

One of the areas that I used to hunt, got a lot of press the last couple of years due to some Guides posting some whoppers taken out of the unit on the braging board at Sportmans Warehouse. It used to go under subsribed for the tags and was a sure draw. now the number of people putting in is astronomocal!! but when people from "Sportsmans Warehouse" show up looking for the deer on the small pieces of public land they give up cause just to get to the trees is over a 2 mile hike across a hot open lava field!!! All the Easy deer are on Private. To take a deer on the public takes alot of sole leather and sweat!! Thats the way I like it!! I hope the slickers give up soon so I can draw that tag again!!!

Get away from the slickers and you will have the best time of your life!!! Good Luck!!! Don't let another 10 years pass on account of the slickers!!

Back