• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfram

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a bottle of Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine that came with my Deerstalker. Does anyone know if it's petroleum based? It says on the label that it's biodegradable, so I would guess no. Does anyone know for sure?

not sure of the make-up of the stuff, but i sure do like the way it works, bore shine and cleanzoil are all i'm using anymore. no rust to date.

Just keep it away from your stock! It will lift the finish like paint remover! Ask me how I know. :rotf:
Old Charlie

Old Charlie said:
Just keep it away from your stock! It will lift the finish like paint remover! Ask me how I know. :rotf:
Old Charlie

ok....how ya know :rotf: :hmm: let me guess first :v ...........bob

Hey, I use Butch's Bore Shine and I think it is great. I am not onto mixing bear grease and bat livers or whatever to make a bp solvent (not that there is anything wrong with that) and Butch's is just the ticket.

I guess I don't understand the concept of black powder solvents. I know they cut fouling really well, but you still gotta rinse the salts out. Do you just use a bunch of solvent? I can see using it to clean revolver barrels where it's open on each end, but how do you manage to get the crud out from the breech area in an enclosed breech?

Hey Plink, I think there are several ways but the 2 I use most are: first - sometimes I use the clean after firing and then for 3 days consecutively after that making sure the breach is good and soaked and then sopped out and oiled; or I take the barrel off and use the hot water scrub routine. Both are labor intense and - I don't dismount the barrel and scrub but once maybe every half dozen times at the range (this would be about 1 x 2 months). Also - when I dismount the barrel - I boil the lock in tap water. Also - I think a lot of this depends on the brand of BP you are using as well as the shooting contitions (high humidity / heat areas or cool dry or hot and dry - you get my drift.)

Old Charlie,

When they first came out with that stuff I tried it. Was surprised how "slippery" it felt between my fingers. Then ran a pH on it. Real caustic!! Yep. real hard on a boiled oil or oil-based varnish stock finish. The strong caustic tries to turn the finish into a soap.

Good data, but I have not had that problem with stock finishes and Butch's. Different types of finishes probably react different to the chemicals so thanks for the information. However, I used Gun Scrubber on my GPR and it took the finish off that stock like feathers off a scalded duck.

Back