• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying bulk black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallred

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all...

Well, looks like the nearest gun shop around here is going to stop carrying black powder. :(

So, I may have to work with the local club or order online with a 25 pound minimum. :shocked2:

So two questions assuming I have to order my own online:

What ratio of 3F and 4F would be about right if I ordered a case of 25 so I use them up at about the same rate?

Or, should I just order a case of 3F for pan and prime and call it a day?

Thanks!

Warren in Alpine said:
Hi all...

Well, looks like the nearest gun shop around here is going to stop carrying black powder. :(

So, I may have to work with the local club or order online with a 25 pound minimum. :shocked2:

So two questions assuming I have to order my own online:

What ratio of 3F and 4F would be about right if I ordered a case of 25 so I use them up at about the same rate?

Or, should I just order a case of 3F for pan and prime and call it a day?

Thanks!

With my 50 cal longrifle, 3Fg is all I use for both prime and main charge. I'd suggest you just call it a day.

Twisted_1in66

Got an email today from TOTW, they said prices are going up 8% on the first of January!! :shocked2:

1 can 4F per case is pretty much a match for the total number of shots from the other 24 lbs.
I mainly use 3F...mostly 50/60grn target loads...and a small amount of 90grn hunting loads.

Figure the averages, and knowing that each shot use 3grns 4F priming, do the math, etc.

So the way it's been working out for me is that I've been ordering a mixed case as follows:

4F = 1 lb
3F = 20 lbs
2F = 4 lbs

However, I see that I'm not using as much 2F from each case as I projected I would so my next case with simply be 1 lb of 4F and 24 lbs of 3F.

If you check out the links in this site, I believe you can find places that will ship smaller amounts than 25 lbs, like 10 or even 5 lbs. The price will end up higher of course due to hazmat fees, but pricey powder is certainly lots better than no powder. Good smoke, ron in FL

That sale flyer from Track today also said that when ordering bulk (25#) from them--if you are shooting a flinter, to figure one pound of 4Ff should give you 2333 primes at 3 gr per prime. 24 pounds of 3F should give you about 2400 shots at 70 gr per load, so a pound of 4F wont quite prime 24# of 3F, but close. They recommended to order one pound of 4F and 24 pounds of 3F.

i would check into just getting it in balk with out the cans. no use paying for them. use 3f for both prime and load.

when there were a lot of matches about 3 of us would go together and buy a keg of 25lb. and i would break it down into 1lb. cans.
it is the only way to buy powder.

Powder, Inc. isn't a bad place to buy powder from either. Yesterday, I placed an order with them for about 9.50 per pound.

TomFoolerythe3rd said:
Powder, Inc. isn't a bad place to buy powder from either. Yesterday, I placed an order with them for about 9.50 per pound.

I ordered a 10 lb lot of powder from Powder, Inc. yesterday as well. 5 cans of KIK 2f, 4 cans of GOEX 3f and 1 can of Skirmish 1f. It came to $13.25 per lb delivered to my door. The local shop is charging $20 a lb + tax. :shocked2:

Russianblood said:
TomFoolerythe3rd said:

I ordered a 10 lb lot of powder from Powder, Inc. yesterday as well. 5 cans of KIK 2f, 4 cans of GOEX 3f and 1 can of Skirmish 1f. It came to $13.25 per lb delivered to my door. The local shop is charging $20 a lb + tax. :shocked2:
With shipping included my order came out to $10.78 per pound for 5 pounds of Goex 2f and 20 pounds of Goex 3f.

I must have emptied and refilled my pan 3 times a day while hunting this week.

That's 3 primes to one shot.

It's a crapshoot. I'd just order 24 3f and 1 4F and see how it works. Next time you can always order more/less depending on your habits.

Considering an average prime charge is 3 grains, a pound of prime will last 2300 shots. So 1 can of 4F in your order works out about right. On the other hand, you don't need 4F at all. 3F works perfectly fine as priming powder.

bob308 said:
"...i would check into just getting it in balk with out the cans. no use paying for them..."
Didn't think loose bulk could be 'ordered & shipped'...thought it had to be "picked up" if it didn't have the protection of the metal cans :shocked2:

Graf & Sons will ship one pound or twenty five pounds, you pay the Hazmat fee and they pay the shipping.
I cant find it locally so I buy from them and never had a problem.

(I was talking about "loose bulk"...powder can be bought in large plastic bags without cans, but I don't think it can be ordered/shipped...has to be personally picked up as it has very little protection)

You got me. I never seen that offered before.
I remember when I was a teenager seeing it in big kegs for sale with no restrictions.

Roundball,

You are correct in that bulk boxes of BP cannot be shipped.

The DOT shipping variance for bp calls for packaging in one pound containers. Either tin cans or the plastic bottles. Maximum of 25 cans/bottles to a case.

So bulk boxes with 25 pounds in a plastic bag cannot be shipped via common carrier under the DOT shipping variance.

Back