• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying Powder in Mich.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a shop on the west end of Grayling that carries black. I stopped in there last time I was down that way. He's on the south side of 72..can't remember the name of the place. Must be the "oldtimer's" settin in.

Anyone have an Idea of the shops name?
I will be passing thru there saturday and would like to stop.

Foster From Flint

Come on. How many gunshops can there be on the South side of Rte. 72, on the West Side of Grayling? Don't you think SOMEONE in Grayling can direct you to the specific store??? Just how big is Grayling??? How many gunshops, or stores that might hand gun "stuff" would there be in that town???

Careful Paul. I grew up in Gaylord, just a few miles north. We don't take kindly to flatlanders who make fun of our rural nature; in fact, we're kind of proud of living on the world's premier rainbow and brown trout river. The folks in Grayling are pretty friendly, though. Unless, of course, you happen to come from the town that just beat them in the latest high school sporting event, something us Blue Devils managed frequently enough. Somebody from Flint shouldn't fare too poorly, though.

It's probably Skip's, although its' been a few years since I stopped there. Let us know what you find out.

Okay: I finally was forced to pull out a very old Rand McNally atlas and find "Grayling", Michigan. I had expected it to be closer to Flint, Mich. than it is. But, it seems to be a cross-roads town, with a N/S interstate, and an E/W state road that leads to a military reservation on the west end.

A couple of thousand people, which makes it a good sized town for rural Michigan. I frankly thought it might have been smaller, but with the base near, there is probably enough business to support a fair-sized town.

I grew up in a small town, outside Chicago, not much larger than Grayling, until the huge migration out of Chicago after the Korean War. The town, while still small, has almost 5 times the population it had when I was little. I now live in a city of more than 90,000, and still prefer small towns, thank you. They can be a pain, when everyone knows your business, and your pleasure, but they also can be the most supportive places to live when you need a friend.

There has to be a source of black powder closer to Flint, Michigan. I may just call the distributor for Michigan tomorrow, and get that answer.

I dream of rolling into a small town and finding 6 or more gunstores and shops all along Main street.

I got close when I first visited Pekin, Illinois, and found about 4 gunstores within 5 or 6 blocks on Main street, about 20 years ago. The town tends to be a "bedroom suburb", to Peoria, home of John Deere Co., and serves all the hunters from that area, even as Peoria, like so many big cities, tends to be controlled increasingly by anti-gun politicians.

mykeal said:
Careful Paul. I grew up in Gaylord, just a few miles north. We don't take kindly to flatlanders who make fun of our rural nature; in fact, we're kind of proud of living on the world's premier rainbow and brown trout river. The folks in Grayling are pretty friendly, though. Unless, of course, you happen to come from the town that just beat them in the latest high school sporting event, something us Blue Devils managed frequently enough. Somebody from Flint shouldn't fare too poorly, though.

It's probably Skip's, although its' been a few years since I stopped there. Let us know what you find out.

I was born and raised in Grand Traverse County and I moved to Flint after college. My mothers family was from Gaylord/Johannesburg.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

Paul,

There are bp suppliers closer to Flint. I posted Duncan's in Bay City twice in this tread - it's just off US-23/I-75 and has the best prices I've found at a local supplier this year: $15.95/lb for Goex.

But, if he's going north for the weekend, stopping off in Grayling for a cuppa and nosing about Skip's for a driving break is a pretty good gig. World class, and I mean seriously world class, fly fishing is done there; it's also the starting point for one of the top two world class marathon canoe races each year. Hartwick Pines State Park on the north side is a virgin stand of White Pine, the tree, from northern Michigan, that rebuilt Chicago after the fire. It's well worth a few hours to tour the trees, view the wildlife and see the logging camp exhibits.

Camp Grayling is an important part of the local economy (I learned to drive on the artillery range, dodging Sherman tanks on the two track roads between camps), but there's a lot more there to see and do.

Foster -

Did you find Skip's ok and do they still carry real black powder?

I finaly made it to skips. I have been through Grayling 4 times in the last 10 days. I have been running up dealing with my 79 year old mother. I bought some supplies at fair prices. The guy at the counter told me they still carry BP but were out at the time and check back soon. Nice little store.

Foster From Flint

How about in the U.P.? Anyone know of any sources for BP up this way? Escanaba or Marquette maybe?

Mike

Mykeal,
Don't forget the live firing of the muzzleloading cannons and mortars held every year. Nothing like seeing the real deal in firing those old end stuffers, instead of just powder smoke from a reenactment.

Stopped by Skip's one day last week. He had Goex at $17/lb. Duncan's in Bay City is still $16/lb.

Scalper,

Where abouts in WV. I grew up in Morgantown and now live in Charlottesville VA. I am over in WV all the time though. Everywhere from the mountains in the east to Parkersburg. I would love to pick up a few pounds everytime I am over there. Especially at that price.

Bob

Stopped by Bass Pro Outdoor World in Great Lakes Crossing yesterday to buy a couple of bricks of an unmentionable ammunition and was shocked to find 3 cans of Goex real black powder ON THE SHELF! Price was outrageous ($20/lb), but, hey, there it was in plain sight for any terrorist to put in his cart.

Duncan's in Bay City is still just $16/lb, but you have to ask for it.

I get powder and caps from the Jag Shop, in Otsego, a little north of Kalamazoo. A quick stop for anyone heading to Dorr for the Grand Valley cap and ballers. Last i was there he had Goex, Schutzen, and Elephant brand. He is listed as a dealer with Goex and his address and phone number can be found on the goex website. I think i paid $15 a pound this last spring.

Kevin,
I generaly buy 10 pounds or so from him every spring. I use it for both reeneacting civil war and live firing at targets. I fyou need a quick pound stop at On Target on west main in Kazoo. you have to ask for it but I think it's around $18 per pound. They are open 7 days a week.

Back