• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

c&b hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc623

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with or having had the hammer of a cap and ball revolver chromed?
If so what was your success/problems?
Was thinking of having a hammer chromed to have a smooth hard surface that would resist the fired residue from sticking to the hammer surfaces and thus making it easier to clean and less likely to rusting and etc.
Not looking for a high mirror finish and I know this not pc but I was thinking more on the practicle side.

Has anyone experimented with or having had the hammer of a cap and ball revolver chromed?
If so what was your success/problems?
Was thinking of having a hammer chromed to have a smooth hard surface that would resist the fired residue from sticking to the hammer surfaces and thus making it easier to clean and less likely to rusting and etc.
Not looking for a high mirror finish and I know this not pc but I was thinking more on the practicle side.

Have you had a specific problem before that has prompted your wanting the hammer chromed? I really can't see any big advantage to having a chromed hammer. There are many other areas that collect fouling worse than the hammer.

Having the entire gun chromed or nickled would be a better idea, but that would be expensive! IF fouling is that much of a concern to you, you might be better off to buy a gun model that is avaiable in stainless steel. You can have it given a high polish finish. That would look good and offer the protection that you are looking for at a much lower cost.

That "mirror finish" would be the most practical for fouling protection and is not entirely out of character for some of the guns either.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

IMO, the fouling will stick to a Chrome surface about the same as it will stick to a unplated surface. It depends more on the degree of polish more than the type of material on the surface.

As for me, I don't mind scowling at the gun when I shoot poorly with it, but I don't think I want it scowling back at me off it's shiny chrome surface when I do it.

IMPORTANT TIDBIT: For those thinking of having their guns plated I would suggest taking it to a shop which specializes in guns or aircraft parts.

Chrome or Nickle plating can create cracks in the base metal if it is not baked properly after plating.
Someone who plates lamps, bookends and baby shoes may not be aware of this phenomenon (known as hydrogen embrittlement) and think the gun is for decoration only.

The cracks caused by hydrogen embrittlement can cause a catastrophic failure of things like cylinders or thin barrels if the gun is fired. :shocking:

Thanks Zonie,

I was just going to mention that...hydrogen...catastrophic...embrittlement...thing :snore:

:kid:

Well, Thanks Liver Eatin' Johnson! I know that sense your so interested in Hydrogen Embrittlement you will be anxious to know the baking has to be done with in three hours or less of the plating cycle or it will be too late to do any good!!
:) :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Back