• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cabelas blueridge caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve hill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have decided to go with this gun for my
first flinter now what caliber? I have
all 50cal caplocks but was wondering if
there would be any advantage to a 36 or 45
to start with in flintlock.

If you bought a 50, you would already have the stuff to load it with. When I bought mine, I chose the .54 because of the bigger hole in the barrel, making it lighter. A lot depends on the use you have in mind for the rifle. You probably won't stop with just one, anyway!

As already said, if you get a .50 cal you already have the stuff to shoot it. The advantage of a .36 or a .45 would be you would have a different cal than you already have. A lot depends on what yu want it for. If you want it for shooting paper only, the smaller cal is cheaper to shoot. The small caibers do have a tendancy to foul the bore faster than a larger bore. If you want it for small game hunting then a .32 or a .36 would be good. With the .45 you could shoot paper, hunt small game, and load it up for deer size game. But then you can hunt deer and elk with the .50 cal, and also load it down for small game or punching paper. So i guess it all comes down to which cal. you want. I think you will really like the rifle. They have a real good lock. They take a 7/8" flint, and produce lots of sparks. Have fun.

Back