• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's bp revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott adair

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with the bp revolvers from Cabela's? I have been looking at the Navy, Army and Remminton. I was wondering who makes them and what their track reccord is like?

scott

Cabelas pistols are made by Pietta, I've bought a couple in the past ,not bad for the money. My most recent aquisition was an 1858 Remington police .36 cal 6.5" barrel, steel framed.
I don't much care fer the way it fits my hand.IMHO the 51 colts are the way to go

I have a 1858 Remington New Model Army it fits good in my hand and shoots great (although the nipples are a little undersized) I also have a New Model Navy it seems small in my hand but is still made well and shoots good. HTH

cabelas is a great outfit.
I have nothing but good things to say about them.
The pistols are Italian made, good value for the money.
The customer service is the best.

Their 1849 Pocket model is made by Uberti. I agree their customer service is excellent. I had a problem with a Pietta model 1858 New Army and they replaced it with a new revolver, no questions asked.

bioprof said:
Their 1849 Pocket model is made by Uberti. I agree their customer service is excellent. I had a problem with a Pietta model 1858 New Army and they replaced it with a new revolver, no questions asked.
I'm just bummed they dropped the .44 Pocket. That was to be my next pistol.

You might try
MIDWAY USA. They have started to carry alot of B/P revolvers.
They also have excelent customer service.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=369889

Here's the midway gun. I like them because they tell you what's in stock and provide reviews. These pocket models are a bit more glitchy about cycling spent caps than some of the bigger ones. It's often necessary to open up some clearances to get them working right. I have a Wells Fargo- from Midway I believe. I beveled the frame on the right side of the hammer and also relieved the area on the right side between the hammer notch and the capping window. Just for educational purposes, I fitted a new hand assembly and bolt. When I got through It was smoother than with the original guts. Now the thing is pretty reliable. It's a well made item even with the necessary after-purchase adjustments.
It will shoot monsterous high at any distance though.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice gun, but it's a .31.

Cabelas still sells an 1862 Police Snunose .36, but I want the 1860 Army Snubnose .44.

(better yet, I want an 1858 New Army Snubnose...)

But anyway, since I coundn't get the 1860, I'm having a .73 Howda built. :shocked2:

scott,
Don't own any Cabela's revolvers but
have a few friends that do and they love them.
I will say this about Cabela's, they are nice
company to work with IMHO.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

My only gripe with Cabalas is that they make up fanciful names and stories about the guns they sell. What they call an 1862 Police is really an 1861 Navy with fluted six shot cylinder. They once advertised an 1851 Navy model .44 as having been popular with U.S. Marshals in Texas during the reconstruction. What bull! No one ever made an 1851 in .44 caliber until a century later.
In dealing with Cabalas you had better know what you're getting because you can't trust the catalog hype. :shake:

Thanks Guys,

I checked out the stuff from Midway. Thing is I've been using a Cabelas Visa for a few years now and have enough credit to get a cap and ball revolver (

Scott,

I have a few revolvers from Cabelas and am happy with all of them. All are made by Pietta and shoot great for me. People used to knock Pietta quality but it has improved considerably in recent years. I plan on getting their 1860 Army Colt some time soon. The only beef I have with them are the nipples. They are small and I have to use #10 caps and even them I have to pinch a little bit. This can be resolved by buying replacement nipples. By all means use your credit card benefits and get one, I would.

Don

Ditto to that. I used to hear that the Uberti BPs were much better than the Cabelas/Pietta -- but my Uberti 1861 Navy has been nothing but trouble, while my Cabelas Remington '58 has been no trouble at all. And it's surprisingly accurate!

Cabela's are fine as everyone says they do make up stuff to help sell the things, but that doesn't bother me just marketing crud. Most of the salesmen are some what knowledgable which helps.

What I like about Cabela's is they always let me return things no questions asked.

But the down side just like any conglomo retailer they hurt the mom and pop shops... So James Country Muzzleloading if I can afford it!

I bought a 58 Remmy from Cabelas about a year ago and have won every match I have shot with it. It will put all 6 rds into one ragged hole at 25 yards off the bench with 30grs. of 3F black. I love it and have not had a single problem.

I used to order many cap and balls from them. :thumbsup:
Not even sure how many anymore.
I've got a stack of the free black zip-up pistol cases they send with each one, and have also had to give away many more.
I have no use for them myself, as I use traditional stuff to keep mine in, but friends like to receive the free cases when I get them.

But back on topic:
Nowaday's all I shoot are Uberti's when it comes to revolvers. Cabelas has a great little 49 pocket model, and the Walker.
That little 49 pocket model, is perhaps the best I have ever gotten from them, or anyone else, as it goes with me everywhere when in the woods, or on my home ground, because it's easier to actually have with you due to size.
Not very powerful, but here in East Texas, it does a number on the armadillo's, and such-like.

After using Uberti's for a while, I cannot find myself going back to the Pietta offerings they have.
Although, the Colt navy-36's they have in the steel frame are some VERY straight shooters with 20grs.
and a ball topped with crisco. I've had two of those and sold both, to get the 49 pocket mentioned above.
Have had a few brass framed .44's in the navy model, and some Remmy's in the steel frame, and one 60 army in steel frame, all from Pietta.
All from Cabela's.
What may be most surprising to some people, is that, for me, the $125.00 brass frame navy with the round barrel in .44, shot the best of all, and was great..........except for authenticity.
My picky brain could not handle using one that never existed in history. :youcrazy:
It was sold also.

Thought I'd share my story of Cabela's revolvers with everyone. Some may think I've gone overboard on revolver purchases with them, but they were all for reenactments and loaner guns mainly, as everyone knows that the cavalry is a pretty expensive avenue to take when reenacting, and compared with saddles and horse trailers, it's pocket change--but pocket change I did not have and still don't, which makes me wonder how I've gotten this far-lol.
Now that I'm out of the sport for a while, I'll shoot my Uberti's and save some Piettas for the rough stuff when I don't mind them getting a nick or scratch on them.
The Uberti's I like to pamper more. :winking:
Now it's Uberti all the way, when I'm just out in the woods.
But for shootin' blanks at yankees, the Pietta's get it done quiet well.
-sleepy-

Forgot to mention:
The MOST important thing I absolutely cannot stand about Pietta's, are the letter stampings on the sides of the barrels.
They take completely away, from what would otherwise be a very "pleasing to look at" revolver. They are already very dependable. Just as much as Uberti's.
But the warnings on the barrels ruin it all for me.
If they were to stamp them underneath like Uberti does, I'll bet they would sell more.
It IS that much of a turn-off for some people.
Believe it or not.
-sleepy-

I recently bought an 1858 Rem .44 cal(pietta) from Cabelas with a spare cyl. They were great to deal with and I absolutely love to shoot that one!

Latest posts

Back