• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's Traditional Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Trap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is this a decent rifle? I know where I can get a kit gun for about $275, but don't know if I want to spend the time to do everything to put it together with my busy schedule. Or, can somebody make a suggestion. I really like adjustable sights, and would love a 1:66 twist. I've got an older Traditions I got in the 90's that is a plain-jane, and its alright, but looking to upgrade.

Somebody point me in the right direction.

I would consider the Lyman Trade Rifle. IMO you're better off to buy the finished gun, & then refinish it to suit you(if necessary)when you have time.

I got a cabela,s investarm hawkins witch is made by lyman. this gun looks and shoots better than i ever though possible.

As much as I often disagree with Mark,,,I would have to second this advice.

The lyman trade rifle is basically the same exact rifle as the cabelas rifle without all the brass trim and a $50 lower price tag. Although it does have a better rear site than the trade rifle but I put a peep site on mine and would have done the same if I had bought the cabelas rifle. I guess if your into the brass trim then go with cabelas, if not then go with the trade rifle.

I have 2 Cabela's Hawkens in .54 caliber. They are excellent rifles, great shooters. The main functional difference is the Lyman Trade only has a single trigger, which is in theory a bit handier for hunting. I use mine for targets and trail walks, so I like the double set triggers on the Cabela's. Mine are 1:48 twist, and they shoot PRB just fine, they are more accurate than I can hold them with the load I use.

I have to agree with Mark on the Lyman Trade Rifle. It is very simular to the Cabela's Hawkens. If you want an ajustable sight and a slow twist barrel, check out the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. They have a 32" long, 1 in 60" twist barrel. I have two in .54 caliber, one flint and one percussion. Very accurate out to 100 yards with round ball.Both Lyman and Cabela's are made by Investarms of Italy, so both are quality products. Here are a couple of places to check out the Lyman rifles: http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_649.html and http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ . Get either Lyman and don't worry about building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually there is only about $100 difference between a kit and the built version. Unless you really enjoy the do it yourself aspect, it is worth that minor price difference for the completed gun IMHO. I personally enjoy the hands on aspect of finishing a kit because it gives you some room to have the fit and finish you want.

The Cabela's rifles are fine except for the cheesy sights. I would recommend any of the Lyman rifles over the Cabela's, both being built by Invest Arms/Italy, because the sights are better on the Lyman products.

just keep in mind that lyman only has a one year warranty. cabelas pretty much backs you up all the time. they sent me 3 or 4 replacements 1851 confederate navy pistols when they kept breaking on me.

:thumbsup: I have had several Cabela's rifles all used, they shoot well. The rear sight is a small issue that can be fixed very easy. I put in heavier spring and filed the notches some and works fine. I did replace one and may at sometime do the other. And they stand behind there products as if you ever go to there bargain cave there are a lot of returns. Some for no reason just used it and decided they didn't want it. I have bought a few things there that were used and just like new. That's my favorite cave. :grin: :2

Mark Lewis said:
I would consider the Lyman Trade Rifle. IMO you're better off to buy the finished gun, & then refinish it to suit you(if necessary)when you have time.

Ditto, unless you REALLY want a project in which case it IS kinda fun to do a kit.

Back