• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela'sBlue Ridge Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRDRI

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought my first flintlock last fall, a Cabela's Blue Ridge by Pedersoli. It's been a great rifle and I enjoy shooting it tremendously.

Unforunately during my last range trip the ramrod snapped in two. What's strange is that I'm pretty careful to never bend or bang on the rod. I realize that ramrods do break, but I loaded the last round normally, replaced the rod. Shot and went home. When at home I went to draw the rod from the pipes to clean the barrel and only the front half of the rod came out. It had broken off clean in the middle. Dang.

So far its been extraneous, here's where I need advice.

I was going to order a 3/8 rod blank from TOTW. I checked my broken rod though and it's .350" diameter. Not .375". I don't think I could fit a .375 rod down the pipes.

Does Pedersoli use a metric rod or something? Anyone with a Blue Ridge who can confirm the proper rod diameter?

Jason

I don't know for sure but I', betting that, yes, they use metric sizes.

A 9 mm diameter rod would be .354 inches in diameter. Many of their sight dovetails are also 9mm too.

A 3/8 diameter rod is the best bet. As for reducing the size down so it fits into the thimbles you have your choice of methods.
Remember, you only have to remove a little over .010 per side so this doesn't take any major investments.

The more common one is to use sandpaper.
Starting with 120 grit and rotating the paper or rod or both will remove quite a lot of wood fairly rapidly because using this rotation basically sands across the grain.

When you get the rod to fit moderately loosely into the thimbles then change direction and finish sanding along the rods axis.
This will remove the scratches from sanding cross grain and will smooth the rod out nicely.

This link should help you with installing the rod end.
RAM ROD TIP INSTALLATION

I replaced the flimsy wood ramrod on my 50 cal Blue Ridge with a brass under gun rod from October Country. The original rod is a 9 MM . The closest to that metric size is the brass rod in 23/64 that they make. It fits a little looser than 9MM size but it works good.It is tight enough that it does not slide forward. I also like that it makes the weapon a little muzzle heavier which in my case helps me aim and shoot. You can get a fiberglass rod from Pedersoli through their dealers for about $46.

You don't want fiberglass unless it has a protective cover, or you use a muzzle guard. It will eat your muzzle crown away, PDQ.

Thanks for the good tips guys. Doh! Why didn't I make the 9mm connection with .350". I've handled enough pistol bullets that size.

I will order the 3/8 replacement rod and try my hand at replacing the tips. I did have another thought as well though. I'll pull my pipes and see if they have enough wall thickness to chuck them up in a lathe and ream them to 3/8. Then I could use a standard rod and not have to worry with sanding down the next one I break.

Also, not a bad idea to order a 3/8 brass rod for a range rod. That would be a lot more sturdy than wood.

Thanks again guys.

Wick Ellerbe said:
You don't want fiberglass unless it has a protective cover, or you use a muzzle guard. It will eat your muzzle crown away, PDQ.

Agreed, using fiberglass over time would be much akin to washing your mother's good china with a diamond.
A brass rod would work, but if you don't want to be carying the extra weight around all day I would suggest getting an aftermarket nylon rod. They usually retail for around $25.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

JRDRI said:
I will order the 3/8 replacement rod and try my hand at replacing the tips. I did have another thought as well though. I'll pull my pipes and see if they have enough wall thickness to chuck them up in a lathe and ream them to 3/8. Then I could use a standard rod and not have to worry with sanding down the next one I break.

When I got my Blue Ridge, I noticed the grain on the ramrod pretty quick and could see how it was cross grained. Having had the fun of breaking one like this, I decided to replace it. After hunting long and hard, trying to avoid the fiberglass rod, I found a Super-Rod nylon type for sale at the Log Cabin. It was less than the fiberglass one, and is supposed to be unbreakable.

JRDRI said:

If you have a lathe, you can chuck the rod blank in it and remove excess wood with coarse sandpaper and smooth it out with finer paper. Also, you can turn the end down for your tip with greater accuracy. Just be sure to support whatever rod is sticking through your spindle to keep it from flopping around. I use a piece of pipe fastened to a stand. I have a short lathe so I also sand my rods between the stand and the headstock, shifting the rod back and forth as needed to reach different areas. After you pin the tip, you can use the lathe to remove excess metal where you peened the tip pins. This gives you an excellent finish.

Opening up the thimbles to 3/8" would leave them awfully thin walled. While it is easy enough to thin down a wooden rod don't forget that you also have to thin the brass tip, at least on one end, unless you re-use the Pedersoli tips. I first tried one of the nylon rods but they are SO flexible it is like trying to load with a wet noodle and they are NOT unbreakable, mine broke where the rod meets the tip. I got a brass rod from "October Country" and have been very happy with it, although it does add considerable weight.

Here is how I reduced the dia. of a ram rod for my 32.cal.
I took a nut, an old square type worked best, and drill it out to the size of the rod I had to reduce in size.
I then placed rod into a drill and the other end into the nut that was held in the vise, with some bees wax on it.
I had someone run the drill holding it some what parallel and held 120 grit sand paper against the rod moveing it from end to end to get it reduced to the size I needed.Then removed it and by hand sanded it from end to end (with the grain) with 200 grit to get a smooth finish.
You don't need much pressure to sand it with the drill spining the rod.
When size attained I then put the end on. Finished the wood and was done.
No lath needed. :wink:

Whenmine broke on my Blue Ridge I went down to the hardware store and bought a fiberglass rod that is for a fence and removed the brass hardware from the broken one and fit the fiberglass rod to the ends, drilled a hole and pinned them on. works great.

Osayo,
I do the same thing WoodHick does, However I use a battery powered drill and chuck the end of the rod in it. i put the drill on the floor and push the button with my foot while working the sandpaper up and down. Works great, and very quick.

I use a range rod in our club matches but also just broke that crappy BlueRidge Ramrod on our last woodswalk.

What about the 5/16" tresso wood option from October Country?

I measured it at home pretty darn close to 5/16" No way, as discussed, 3/8" will fit the pipes. They're already tipped and drilled for 10-32" which is great.

Anyone think that would be too thin? Are y'all saying the 23/64" is closer? They have that in the brass under-rod option which I find intriguing. Anyone use one of those? It seems to me it would either add too much weight OR alternatively, the weight could work as a stabilizer.

Thoughts?

- J

3/8 is too thick , It will not fit. Read my post above, 23 64 th is the closest to 9mm. If in doubt get a drill bit in the size you think will work and try to slide it into the rod ferrules. this will tell you for sure if it is going to work. The 23 64th rod I got from October country in brass works just fine.

Guys I found a pretty simple solution that won't require me to alter the pipes.

TOTW stocks 9mm ramrod blanks. I just placed my order. That was easy.

When I get it I'll turn down the ends in the lathe to fit the caps and then drill and cross pin. The factory rod tips are held on with a slotted spring pin which came out without too much ado.

Now I just wait for the postman.

As to Brass Ramrods...I have them on the two rifles I bought used. Both are .54s and brass definitely does away with breakage possibilities. I would recommend brass. As to their adding heft to the muzzles, I have never fired either rifle with wood rods so I can't speak to that. GrampaJ in NC

I suggest you buy the standard rod if you can't get one the metric size. You can then chuck it in a hand drill and put the other end in a support hole drilled in a 2X4 attached to your bench. Put the drill in your vise and sand the rod down to where it will fit the thimbles and take your rod tips.

Stain your color pref and soak in a good oil (coal oil is traditional) for strength and flex

Back