• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber - Stick With Same?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking I want a Flintlock added to my bucket list. I have a .50 caliber percussion rifle that I'll shoot in my back yard. I've had it out once for deer hunting but didn't get to take a deer with the gun.

If I got a flintlock and got good enough with it I'd probably want to hunt deer with it (only a few days out of the year as I'm primarily a bowhunter). Would I be better off with .54 caliber or just stick with .50 caliber?

Thanks for your opinion,
Bill K.

Thats a loaded question... its really what you decide you want. I have .54, .58, .62 and .12 ga flinters I use for deer and like them all. I like how the big balls really smack em and let the air out quick but you can use smaller calibers too. Your minimum is probably .45? or .40? Any of the legal calibers will work within their limitations, you just need to decide whats best for you. :thumbsup:

The pros for sticking with 50 is that the balls and jags remain the same. Maybe even patches of which I've only tried, in my PA Hunter, one thickness - .01 thus far. I wouldn't be shooting enough for economics to play in my decision.

I'd have to disagree with part of your post swampy. Its really what your wife decides you want. :haha:

Just kidding around. I enjoy having the same caliber in both flint and cap. I use the flint more, but I like having a uniform supplies inventory.

I think if you're going to be getting another rifle to begin with, then get something different like he .54 cal to learn and expand your horizons and experience base into another caliber.

I don't "have money" and am not trying to sound like $25 is nothing, but a bag of patches, a box of Hornady .530's, a jag, and a ball puller would be about $25 or less...plenty to sight it in, and hunt it a couple times.

All I can say is that with 17,644 posts :bow: you got my attention! :)

Bill K.

The .54 would be more versatile if you plan to hunt bigger critters down the road.

In my case I like to dink around with lots of calibers, so that's an easy choice. If you're after simplicity, then sticking at 50 has merit. An easy change for deer is 54 or 58, but there's no reason not to go 45 or 62 for that matter. If small game along with deer is on your list, there's lot to recommend a smoothie fowler in 58 or 62, and heck, 54 for that matter.

Since you're mostly a bow hunter for deer, I'd likely go the "other" direction in picking a caliber. I'd look at a 40, 36 or 32 small game gun, which you'll get a lot more use out of. I certainly enjoy my deer hunting, but counting hours in the field per year will convince you I'm a small game hunter who gets around to deer once in a while.

Bill K said:
Bill K.
Be careful though... just because some body might have accumulated a lot of posts doesn't mean they know squat...might be a bunch of hot air
:hmm:

roundball said:
Bill K said:
Bill K.
Be careful though... just because some body might have accumulated a lot of posts doesn't mean they know squat...might be a bunch of hot air
:hmm:

Doggone it!

I'm going to have to learn not to read your posts with a mouthful of coffee. Coffee sure does burn spraying out your nose. Sooner or later you're going to kill my keyboard for sure! :rotf:

Maybe that would be a good thing, come to think of it. :grin:

Well I'm kinda of a new caliber person :wink: with a .32, .45, 50, 54, and 12ga. I'm dreaming about a .62 or .72 cal. Fowler :grin: and now it's convincing the wife :shake: I would go different caliber.

Thanks guys...

Well I've now done enough reading and research to determine that if I were to get a flintlock today it would be in .54 caliber and slow twist. With a .54 I'm pretty sure I'd have no temptations or reasons to shoot anything other than PRB. Plenty for whitetail. Also, keeps things simple relatively inexpensive for practice and plinking in my backyard range.

I think I have all the bases covered from 32 to 54 as I have all the calibers in between as well. Big is always better go with the 54.

Sounds like my kind of huntin' I've got'em from 45 to 58 and I like each and every one of them more than I do the others..... :grin:

Latest posts

Back